Ranking of a set of theoretical particle physics programs

In summary, Penn State and Stony Brook are the best programs for theoretical particle physics. Penn State has Abhay Ashtekar and Stony Brook is renowned for obvious reasons. Penn State is also good for HEPT, Ashtekar mainly does classical gravity and loop quantum gravity. Neither is what one would usually call HEPT. There are other programs of lower ranking in the league tables, but has a strong high energy research group. However, I would consider University of Maryland, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, UC Davis, or Rutgers if they are still accepting applications.
spaghetti3451
Among the following programs, which are the best for theoretical particle physics?

Stony Brook, Penn State, Iowa State, Urbana Champaign, Arizona, Arizona State, Georgia Tech, Florida, Tennesse KnoxVille

Are there some other programs of lower ranking in the league tables, but has a strong high energy research group?

Physics news on Phys.org
From my research, I think only Stony Brook and Penn State have very good high energy theory research groups.

Penn State has Abhay Ashktekhar and Stony Brook is renowned for obvious reasons.

When you say HEP theory do you mean particle phenomenology? Or are you talking about research areas more akin to those you'd see in HEPT on arxiv i.e. string theory, field theory, semi-classical gravity?

Also, while Penn State is certainly good for HEPT, Ashtekar mainly does classical gravity and loop quantum gravity. Neither is what one would usually call HEPT.

Have you considered University of Maryland, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, UC Davis, or Rutgers? These aren't lower ranked compared to Penn or Stonybrook but they're arguably within neighboring ranks.

WannabeNewton said:
When you say HEP theory do you mean particle phenomenology? Or are you talking about research areas more akin to those you'd see in HEPT on arxiv i.e. string theory, field theory, semi-classical gravity?

I mean string theory, field theory, semi-classical gravity. I would work in particle phenomenology only in case I don't get a supervisor in these areas.

WannabeNewton said:
Also, while Penn State is certainly good for HEPT, Ashtekar mainly does classical gravity and loop quantum gravity. Neither is what one would usually call HEPT.

Is that because loop quantum gravity and classical gravity are not mainstream research topics?

WannabeNewton said:
Have you considered University of Maryland, Johns Hopkins, UCLA, UC Davis, or Rutgers? These aren't lower ranked compared to Penn or Stonybrook but they're arguably within neighboring ranks.

The deadline to apply for these programs for next fall are gone.

What do you think of Illinois-Urbana Champaign's HEPT program?

failexam said:
Is that because loop quantum gravity and classical gravity are not mainstream research topics?

Classical gravity is certainly a mainstream field, albeit a small one. The only schools in the US I know off the top of my head that have dedicated GR research groups are Caltech, UChicago, and Cornell. LQG on the other hand I would say is not mainstream in the sense that it has a competing research program (String Theory) with far more people working in it, far more publications, and far more resources (e.g. seminars). Within the US I can only think of Penn State when it comes to schools with LQG groups.

failexam said:
What do you think of Illinois-Urbana Champaign's HEPT program?

It's not as strong as some of the others on your list like Stonybrook or Penn. It's far more renowned for condensed matter (theory and experiment).

EDIT: Also the deadline for UC Davis has not passed. The priority deadline for Davis was Jan 1 but you can still apply by Jan 15. Davis has Markus Luty and recently hired strong HEPT people like Mukund Rangamani and Veronica Hubeny. Davis would certainly be worth looking at.

Last edited:
WannabeNewton said:
Classical gravity is certainly a mainstream field, albeit a small one. The only schools in the US I know off the top of my head that have dedicated GR research groups are Caltech, UChicago, and Cornell.

What are some of the major hot topics of research in classical gravity?

WannabeNewton said:
Also the deadline for UC Davis has not passed. The priority deadline for Davis was Jan 1 but you can still apply by Jan 15.

Would you also know of any higher ranking programs with a strong research group in HEPT which are still accepting applications?

failexam said:
What are some of the major hot topics of research in classical gravity?

In theory (i.e. not numerical) I would say higher order self-force corrections, formulations of extended body motion, two-timescale and post-Newtonian calculations of binary inspirals, modified theories of gravity, higher dimensional GR, stability problems for black holes (including things like black branes), asymptotic symmetries/BMS group in black hole spacetimes (e.g. the recent paper by Hawking, Strominger, and Perry on soft black hole hair). Of course, there are many other topics being pursued within classical GR but these are what immediately come to mind. If you want a more detailed perspective of classical gravity research then check out the GR-QC section of arxiv.

failexam said:
Would you also know of any higher ranking programs with a strong research group in HEPT which are still accepting applications?

Not that I can think of, sorry. The latest deadline on my own list of schools that I applied/will apply to is Jan 15 and that is only for Penn State.

You might also want to look into the Perimeter Scholars International.

WannabeNewton said:
You might also want to look into the Perimeter Scholars International.

I've been told that this is one of the toughest programs to get into (for an international student).

One of my professors told me that, to get into the PSI program, you need a recommendation letter which says that you are the best student he/she has seen in 5 or 10 years.

The PSI program, I guess, is the most elite Masters level theoretical physics program.

Yeah it's definitely extremely selective but it has no application fee!

I think scientific merit is more important than "ranking in the league tables".

Vanadium 50 said:
I think scientific merit is more important than "ranking in the league tables".

Scientific merit, in the sense of, the strength of the research groups of the program?

failexam said:
Scientific merit, in the sense of, the strength of the research groups of the program?

Which word didn't make sense?

Related to Ranking of a set of theoretical particle physics programs

1. What is the purpose of ranking theoretical particle physics programs?

The purpose of ranking theoretical particle physics programs is to evaluate and compare different programs based on their effectiveness in simulating and predicting particle behavior. This ranking can help researchers determine which programs are most reliable and accurate for their specific needs.

2. How are theoretical particle physics programs ranked?

Theoretical particle physics programs are typically ranked based on a variety of factors, including accuracy, computational efficiency, user-friendliness, and the range of particle interactions and phenomena they can simulate. Rankings may also take into account the number of citations and publications that have used a particular program.

3. Who conducts the ranking of theoretical particle physics programs?

The ranking of theoretical particle physics programs is typically conducted by experts in the field, such as physicists and researchers who have experience using and evaluating these programs. Rankings may also be published by scientific organizations or journals.

4. How often are rankings of theoretical particle physics programs updated?

Rankings of theoretical particle physics programs are not updated on a set schedule, but rather as new programs are developed and existing programs are updated. It can also depend on the availability of new data and advancements in the field. Some rankings may be updated annually, while others may be less frequent.

5. Are there any limitations to the ranking of theoretical particle physics programs?

Yes, there are some limitations to the ranking of theoretical particle physics programs. One limitation is that rankings may be subjective, as different researchers may prioritize different factors when evaluating programs. Additionally, rankings may not always accurately reflect the performance of a program, as it may be difficult to compare programs that use different algorithms or approaches.