Rate of flow from a leak in a storage tank

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the speed at which water leaves a hole in a storage tank and the diameter of the hole. The equation used is based on the volume flow rate and the flow area, and the diameter can be found using the equation A = \frac{\pi d^2}{4}. The shape of the hole is not specified and does not affect the calculation.
mirandasatterley
"A large storage tank, open at the top and filled with water, develops a small hole in its side at a point 16.0m below the water level. If the rate of flow from the leak is 2.50x10^-3 m^3/min, determine; A) The speed at which the water leaves the hole and (B) The diameter of the hole.

So I used the equation;
P(air) + 1/2 d(density)v1^2 + pgh(total height of water) = P(air) + 1/2dv2^2 + pgh(from the bottom of the container to the leak)

The equation then simplifies to:
gh(total height) = 1/2V2^2 + gh(from bottom to leak)
V2^2 = 2g(h(total) - h(form bottom to leak))
V2^2 = 2g(h(from leak to top of water))

Since this h is known, I can solve for v.

I Just can't figure out the diameter part.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're given the volume flow rate (discharge or flux), Q.

Last edited:
okay so the equation is;
flow rate = A(flow area)V1

And I can find the area, but how do i find just the diameter.

A= 4/3 pi r^2 (if it were a circular hole)

I'm unsure because it doesn't tell us what shape the hole is. Does the shape even matter?

Why 4/3? and yes simply use [itex] A = \frac{\pi d^2}{4} [/itex]

Okay, Thanks

What is the rate of flow from a leak in a storage tank?

The rate of flow from a leak in a storage tank depends on several factors, such as the size of the leak, the type of liquid being stored, and the pressure inside the tank. It can range from a slow drip to a steady stream.

How can the rate of flow from a leak in a storage tank be measured?

The rate of flow from a leak in a storage tank is typically measured using specialized equipment such as flow meters or pressure gauges. These instruments can accurately measure the volume or pressure of the leaking substance over a certain period of time.

What are the potential hazards of a leak in a storage tank?

A leak in a storage tank can pose several hazards, such as environmental pollution, fire or explosion, and health risks to individuals in the surrounding area. The severity of the hazards depends on the type of substance being stored and the rate of flow of the leak.

What factors can affect the rate of flow from a leak in a storage tank?

The rate of flow from a leak in a storage tank can be affected by various factors, including the size and location of the leak, the temperature and pressure of the substance inside the tank, and the type of material used to construct the tank.

How can the rate of flow from a leak in a storage tank be controlled?

The rate of flow from a leak in a storage tank can be controlled by implementing measures such as regular maintenance and inspection of the tank, using proper storage and handling procedures for the substance being stored, and having emergency response plans in place in case of a leak. In some cases, installing additional safety features such as double-walled tanks or leak detection systems can also help control the rate of flow from a leak.