Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rate of heat loss ramining constant

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    Does the rate of heat loss remain constant during any period. I'm doing a lab on heat loss where i'm comparing the loss of heat in a aluminum soda can with hot water to a aluminum can with hot water covered with insulation material.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I believe the only time it will stay constant, is if the change in temperature remains constant with time. Otherwise, it will not be constant.

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    what does that mean ?

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4
    could i say at The rate of heat loss cannot be constant because the relationship is not linear but rather exponential.

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well it depends on how your results say that the heat loss varies with time.

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6
  8. Sep 19, 2010 #7
    so does being proportional mean that the heat loss is constant. i really have no idea how im going to explain this.

9. Sep 19, 2010 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well it shows that your rate of heat loss is directly proportional to the change in temperature function.

You cannot say from the equation what this function unless your experimental data can be analyzed to find it.

10. Sep 19, 2010 #9
    so can i just say that the rate of heat loss should not have been constant.

11. Sep 20, 2010 #10

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook