Rate of increase/differential equation

• Thread starter Gwilim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the rate of increase for a species of bacterium is determined by the following: the rate of increase is proportional to the population, the rate of increase is proportional to the temperature, and the rate of increase is proportional to the product of the population and the temperature.
Gwilim
The Problem:

For a species of bacterium, the rate of increase of the population is determined by the following information:

the rate of increase is proportional to the population P(t)

the rate of increase is proportional to the temperature T(t)

My question:

I initially wrote out two separate equations for this, namely dP/dt = aP(t) and dP/dt = bT(t), then using the initial conditions P(0)=1000 and P(10)=2000 and the information T(t)=40-2t solved each, one giving an exponential and the other a polynomial.

Should I have instead solved the equation dP/dt = kP(t)T(t)?

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'yes' but I'd like some confirmation anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
incidentally I ultimately have to find P(t) at t=20, and using the method I just described I get 1000 times the cube root of 16. Is that correct?

Yes, solve for dP/dt = kP(t)T(t). Think way back from algebra.

Thanks

Gwilim said:
incidentally I ultimately have to find P(t) at t=20, and using the method I just described I get 1000 times the cube root of 16. Is that correct?

I would like confirmation for this also

Giving you confirmation would mean that we would have to solve your entire problem first and then compare it to your answer. Secondly we don't even know to which method your solution belongs, the wrong one or the correct one?

If you want confirmation show us your work step by step so we can see where and if you made mistakes. We will then help you from thereon.

Last edited:
Yeah okay.

P'(t) = k P(t)T(t)

T=(40-2t)

P'(t)/P(t) = 40k - 2kt

P^(-1)dP = (40k -2kt)dt

lnP = 40kt - kt^2 + C

P(t) = Ce^(40kt - kt^2)

P(0) = 1000 => C=1000

P(t) = 1000e^(40kt - kt^2)

P(10) = 2000 = 1000e^300k => k = (ln2)/300

P(t) = 1000e^(((2/15)ln2)t - ((1/300)ln2)T^2)

P(20) = 1000e^((4/3)ln2)
P(20) = 1000*(16^(1/3))

Every step looks correct to me. A slightly nicer way to write it would perhaps be 2000 2^(1/3), put that's purely aesthetic.

thanks again. I'll probably be posting one or two more of these this weekend

What is the rate of increase?

The rate of increase is the measure of how much a quantity is changing over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in the quantity by the change in time.

How is the rate of increase related to differential equations?

The rate of increase is often represented by a differential equation, which is an equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. Differential equations use derivatives to express the rate of change.

What are the different types of rates of increase?

There are two main types of rates of increase: average rate of increase and instantaneous rate of increase. Average rate of increase is calculated over a specific interval of time, while instantaneous rate of increase is calculated at a specific point in time.

How do you solve a differential equation for rate of increase?

To solve a differential equation for rate of increase, you need to find the function that satisfies the equation. This involves using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration.

What are some real-world applications of rate of increase and differential equations?

Rate of increase and differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model and predict changes in physical systems, population growth, chemical reactions, and more.