Rate of increase of the surface area

In summary: Please try to be more specific, like "I found the derivative of the surface area formula S=4*pi*r^2, which is dS/dr=8*pi*r". Then you're right that plugging in the given values of r gives the listed answers. And "the rate of increase of surface area with respect to radius" is dS/dr, the derivative of S with respect to r. So you've done everything correctly.In summary, the rate of increase of the surface area with respect to radius r is 8 ft when r is 1 ft, 16 ft when r is 2 ft, and 24 ft when r is 3 ft. This was found by taking the derivative of
afcwestwarrior
a spherical balloon is being inflated. find the rate of increase of the surface area (S=4 pie r squared) with respect to radius r when r is (A) 1 ft, (B) 2 ft, (C) 3ft.

Here's what i did

i found the derivative of s and i put 4 2R and then i plugged in the numbers in R
and i got 8 ft sq/ft 16 ft sq/ft and 24 ft sq/ft

except I'm not sure if I am doing it right, although those are the right answers i didnt get the units along with them

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is there simple algebra involved in this calculus problem

are you not given dr/dt or dv/dt?

afcwestwarrior said:
a spherical balloon is being inflated. find the rate of increase of the surface area (S=4 pie r squared) with respect to radius r when r is (A) 1 ft, (B) 2 ft, (C) 3ft.

Here's what i did

i found the derivative of s and i put 4 2R and then i plugged in the numbers in R

except I'm not sure if I am doing it right, although those are the right answers i didnt get the units along with them

You've got a graph there, simply find the gradient of the slope, that's the rate of increase.

(1,8)
(2,16)
(3,24)

Last edited:
afcwestwarrior said:

Here's what i did

Give more detail about what you did (I, for one, don't know what "i put 4 2R" means!). What is the formula for surface area (I see you give that)? what is its derivative?

Plastic Photon, since the problem asks for the rate of increas eof surface area with respect to r you don't need to know dr/dt.

If the surface area is in square feet and the radius in feet, then the "rate of change of surface area with respect ot radius" is in (square feet)/feet or just feet!

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so ur saying i don't need to find the derivative of it, ok check this mate,
the i put 4 2 R means that's the derivative of the surface area

No, "i put 4 2 R" doesn't mean anything!

1. What is the definition of "rate of increase of the surface area"?

The rate of increase of the surface area refers to the change in the size of an object's surface area over time. It is typically measured in units of square meters per second.

2. How is the "rate of increase of the surface area" calculated?

The rate of increase of the surface area can be calculated by dividing the change in surface area by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: (final surface area - initial surface area) / (final time - initial time).

3. What factors can affect the "rate of increase of the surface area"?

The rate of increase of the surface area can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the object, the material it is made of, and external forces such as temperature and pressure. These factors can influence the rate at which the object's surface area changes over time.

4. How does the "rate of increase of the surface area" relate to the overall growth of an object?

The rate of increase of the surface area is directly related to the overall growth of an object. As the surface area of an object increases, the object's volume also increases. This growth in volume can lead to changes in the object's properties and functions.

5. Can the "rate of increase of the surface area" be negative?

Yes, the rate of increase of the surface area can be negative if the surface area of an object decreases over time. This can occur if the object is being eroded or if its surface is being reduced by external factors.