Rate of Pressure Change with Temperature in Ideal Gas Law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
cmajor47
Messages
53
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


According to the ideal gas law, the pressure, temperature, and volume of a gas are related by PV=kT, where k is a constant. Find the rate of change of pressure (pounds per square inch) with respect to temperature when the temperature is 300[tex]^{o}[/tex]K if the volume is kept fixed at 100 cubic inches.


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


PV=kT
P=V-1kT
P=100-1kT
[tex]\frac{dP}{dT}[/tex]=100-1k

I don't know how to figure this out. We were given the answer, -.01 psi/[tex]^{o}[/tex]K but I don't know how to get to this with the k there.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is weird. You're given information (T=300K) which is not necessary for calculating ∂P/∂T, and not given enough information to figure out what k is.

Moreover, pressure should increase as the gas is heated up. Yet "the answer" is a negative quantity!

Something is definitely not right here.
 
Tom Mattson said:
k is Boltzmann's constant.

That's what I thought when I first saw the problem. But where is the number of gas molecules in PV=kT? Either that equation was not written correctly, or k really is just "a constant".