Ratio of water pump capacity to static header height

In summary, according to the data you have, the flow rate at a lower elevation is about 360L/hour, and the pump can deliver water up to 1.1m in height.
fish keeper

Homework Statement

800L/h rated pump 12.6mm outflow pipe.
Static head height 1.10m
There seem to be no undue turbulence in the flow.
Environmental pressure is just atmospheric (1bar)

2. Homework Equations

Unknown

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the physical experiments which is how I found the static height.

Since first posting this question yesterday I have repeated the experiment and estimate at 0.9m elevation I have an effective flow rate of rate of 360L/hour.Google search yielded no formulas

Physics news on Phys.org
There doesn't seem to be a question in the problem statement but I assume you are trying to calculate the "Ratio of water pump capacity to static header height"

Edit: or rather the flow rate vs head height?

Your post mentions three data points (two in the problem and one you measured). Have you considered a graph?

Essentially my problem is that I want to know how much water is being delivered from a lower tank to a higher one.

I can be confident of the static height (1.1m) but what I’m not able to be sure of is how much water is being delivered at lower elevations probably 0.9m.

If I knew the formula to use I could design the system to give me the best compromise between height differential and flow rate (also for future reference).

For 800L/h, this is the discharge of the pump or 0.0 m of head height. Now plot the points on a graph.

You have two data points from the specification...

0L/H @ 1.10m head
800L/h @ 0m head

If you draw a straight line graph between those two points you will get a rough idea of the flow rate at other heads. However in reality the actual performance isn't usually a straight line. If you add the data point you measured (360L/h @ 0.9m head) you will find that is better than implied by the straight line graph.

Ideally you would acquire a few more data points and plot a curve.

CWatters said:
You have two data points from the specification...

0L/H @ 1.10m head
800L/h @ 0m head

If you draw a straight line graph between those two points you will get a rough idea of the flow rate at other heads. However in reality the actual performance isn't usually a straight line. If you add the data point you measured (360L/h @ 0.9m head) you will find that is better than implied by the straight line graph.

Ideally you would acquire a few more data points and plot a curve.
Thanks for your advice I will do as you suggest . In my experiment I felt there mite be inaccuracies some that would flatter the LPH and some that would diminish the LPH figures e.g. the Ventura pipe that normally sucks air into the outflow stream was acting as a pressure escape valve so returning water to the intake water container essentially pumping water around a closed system . It is probable that my approximation was over positive hence giving me a slightly optimistic value of 360LPH at 0.9M

Manufacturers data can be pretty inaccurate. Some will under spec their pumps to ensure the actual flow rate is always higher despite manufacturing tollerances and the like. If you need accuracy best set up the experiment as near as possible to the real world situation and measure it. Mains voltage can also vary quite a bit and that will effect flow rates on some pumps. As I recall the statutory limits in the UK are something like 220V -6%, +10%. The pump rates might be specified at a nominal 220V or 220V-6%.

Thanks again for your advice.
The purpose of the lower tank is to act as a sump/filter for the higher one, so effectively I really only need to know roughly how well it is doing, and of course there is the academic curiosity (witch I must admit would still like to see the formula even if I never use all or part of it e.g. Viscosity, turbulence etc.)
There would be an overflow returning water to the lower tank so by design it will always be a self-balancing system

What is the ratio of water pump capacity to static header height?

The ratio of water pump capacity to static header height is a measure of the efficiency of a water pump. It is calculated by dividing the pump's capacity (in gallons per minute) by the static head (in feet). This ratio is commonly used in the design and selection of water pumps for various applications.

Why is the ratio of water pump capacity to static header height important?

The ratio of water pump capacity to static header height is important because it helps determine the pump's ability to move water against gravity. A higher ratio indicates that the pump is more efficient at overcoming the resistance of the static head, resulting in better performance and cost-effectiveness.

What is considered a good ratio of water pump capacity to static header height?

A good ratio of water pump capacity to static header height varies depending on the specific application and requirements. However, in general, a ratio of 1:1 or greater is considered good, indicating that the pump can overcome the static head with ease.

How does the ratio of water pump capacity to static header height affect the pump's performance?

The ratio of water pump capacity to static header height directly affects the pump's performance. A higher ratio means that the pump can overcome the resistance of the static head more efficiently, resulting in better flow and pressure. On the other hand, a lower ratio may lead to lower flow and pressure, and potentially cause the pump to work harder and wear out more quickly.

Can the ratio of water pump capacity to static header height be improved?

Yes, the ratio of water pump capacity to static header height can be improved by selecting a pump with a higher flow rate and/or by reducing the static head. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular checks can also help maintain a good ratio and ensure the pump's optimal performance.