1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio simplification using ratio series.

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

here is the problem: http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5175/15399391yy7.png

how do i simplify the fraction?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i got the correct answer but i'm not sure how to simplify the fraction correctly, especially with the n+1 with a exponent 4.

please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Have you learnt L'Hospital's rule yet? If you have then all you need to do is to evaluate [tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n^4+16}{(n+1)^4 +16}[/tex] separately, then put that result back into the expression then you'll get the answer.

4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    Okay, ya after applying l'hopitals rule, i get 1. also, i believe i could change this (n+1)^4 to this n^4 + 1^4 i believe?

thanks.

5. Jan 28, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

I don't think that's allowed. What rule are you following there?

6. Jan 28, 2008 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

No, it's not correct at all.

Here's a simple counter example. If n = -1, then your LHS will be 0, whereas your RHS is 2, they are not equal.

To expand the terms that have the form: (a + b)n (where n is a natural number), one should use Binomial Theorem.

Or, you can just devide both numerator, and denominator by n4 (the greatest power), like this:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left| (2x - 1) \frac{n ^ 4 + 16}{(n + 1) ^ 4 + 16} \right|[/tex]

[tex]= |2x - 1| \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left| \frac{\frac{n ^ 4 + 16}{n ^ 4}}{\frac{(n + 1) ^ 4 + 16}{n ^ 4}} \right|[/tex] (since 2x - 1 is a constant, independent of n, we can "pull" it out)

[tex]= |2x - 1| \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left| \frac{1 + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}}{\frac{(n + 1) ^ 4}{n ^ 4} + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}} \right|[/tex]

[tex]= |2x - 1| \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left| \frac{1 + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}}{\left( \frac{n + 1}{n} \right) ^ 4 + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}} \right|[/tex]

[tex]= |2x - 1| \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left| \frac{1 + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}}{\left( \frac{n + 1}{n} \right) ^ 4 + \frac{16}{n ^ 4}} \right| = ...[/tex]

Can you go from here? :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  7. Jan 28, 2008 #6
    Viet Dao, thankyou for that thorough explanation! That was exactly my question, and it helped me a great deal!

8. Jan 29, 2008 #7
    just skipping to the end, i get the interval of convergence to be [0, 1] where i plug these into the original equation and they both converge, correct? just need a confirmation.

also the radius of convergence came to 1/2

thanks.

9. Jan 29, 2008 #8

VietDao29

Homework Helper

What is the series you are working on? You haven't shown us any series at all. :bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?