Simplifying a series with the ratio test

In summary: Yep, I just didn't know why using a different test that I wasn't getting the same solution. Problem's solved.
MathewsMD

Homework Statement

Determine if the following series is divergent or convergent:

## ∑_1^∞ \frac {(2)(4)(6)...(2n)}{n!} ##

2. The attempt at a solution

I understand this can be simplified to:

## ∑_1^∞ \frac {(2^n)(n!)}{n!} ##
This can easily be seen to be divergent.

But when I do ## lim_{n→∞}\frac {a_{n+1}}{a_{n}} = lim_{n→∞}\frac {1}{n} ## after simplifying. Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong or why this is not appropriate? Is there any restriction on when the ratio test can be used? Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
But when I do ## lim_{n→∞}\frac {a_{n+1}}{a_{n}} = lim_{n→∞}\frac {1}{n} ## after simplifying.

How did you get that? (It is wrong).

AlephZero said:
How did you get that? (It is wrong).

I know ## a_n = \frac {(2)(4)(6)...(2n)}{n!} ##
So ##\frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n} = [\frac {(2)(4)(6)...(2(n+1))}{(n+1)!}] [\frac {n!}{(2)(4)(6)...(2n)}]##
This simplifies to: ## \frac {2(n+1)}{2n} \frac {1}{n+1}##

Now, when the limit is taken as n→∞, then ## \frac {2(n+1)}{2n} = 1## and you're left with ##lim_{n→∞}\frac {1}{n+1} ## I just simplified this to ##\frac {1}{n}##. Does anyone mind telling me what I did wrong here?

MathewsMD said:
I know ## a_n = \frac {(2)(4)(6)...(2n)}{n!} ##
So ##\frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n} = [\frac {(2)(4)(6)...(2(n+1))}{(n+1)!}] [\frac {n!}{(2)(4)(6)...(2n)}]##
This simplifies to: ## \frac {2(n+1)}{2n} \frac {1}{n+1}##

Now, when the limit is taken as n→∞, then ## \frac {2(n+1)}{2n} = 1## and you're left with ##lim_{n→∞}\frac {1}{n+1} ## I just simplified this to ##\frac {1}{n}##. Does anyone mind telling me what I did wrong here?

No, the ratio is 2(n+1)/(n+1)=2. Where did the extra n come from??

Dick said:
No, the ratio is 2(n+1)/(n+1)=2. Where did the extra n come from??

ahh i forgot to cancel a 2n

MathewsMD said:

Homework Statement

Determine if the following series is divergent or convergent:

## ∑_1^∞ \frac {(2)(4)(6)...(2n)}{n!} ##

2. The attempt at a solution

I understand this can be simplified to:

## ∑_1^∞ \frac {(2^n)(n!)}{n!} ##
This can easily be seen to be divergent.

But when I do ## lim_{n→∞}\frac {a_{n+1}}{a_{n}} = lim_{n→∞}\frac {1}{n} ## after simplifying. Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong or why this is not appropriate? Is there any restriction on when the ratio test can be used? Thank you! :)

Why bother with the ratio test? The nth term of the series equals ##2^n## (as you have already noted). Since ##2^n## does not go to 0 as ##n \to \infty## the series cannot possibly converge.

Ray Vickson said:
Why bother with the ratio test? The nth term of the series equals ##2^n## (as you have already noted). Since ##2^n## does not go to 0 as ##n \to \infty## the series cannot possibly converge.

Yep, I just didn't know why using a different test that I wasn't getting the same solution. Problem's solved.

Related to Simplifying a series with the ratio test

What is the ratio test method for simplifying a series?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves calculating the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

Why is the ratio test useful for simplifying a series?

The ratio test provides a simple and efficient way to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It is particularly useful for series with terms that involve powers of n or factorials.

What are the steps for applying the ratio test to a series?

The steps for applying the ratio test are as follows: 1) Determine the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. 2) Take the limit of this ratio as n approaches infinity. 3) If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

What are some common mistakes when using the ratio test for simplifying a series?

One common mistake is forgetting to take the absolute value of the ratio when calculating the limit. Another mistake is incorrectly determining the limit, such as assuming it is equal to 1 when it is actually greater than 1. It is also important to check for any special cases, such as when the ratio is equal to 1 for all terms. Lastly, it is important to remember that the ratio test only determines the convergence or divergence of a series, not the actual value.

Can the ratio test be used for all series?

No, the ratio test can only be used for series with positive terms. It is also not useful for series with alternating signs or terms that do not involve powers of n or factorials.