Ratio test for finding radius of convergence

In summary: Another method would be to use the root test as suggested earlier. Did you try that one?Another method would be to use the root test as suggested earlier. Did you try that one?No, I haven't tried yet. But I think it is hard to find the limsup of the root.And I have another question, that if I sub x=-e, then the series also converges.But the limsup of the root of the series is not 1, then how can I find it?No, I haven't tried yet. But I think it is hard to find the limsup of the root.And I have another question, that if I sub x=-e, then the series also converges.But
haha1234

Homework Statement

I've found that the typical way for using ratio test is to find the limit of an+1/an However, my tutor said that radius of convergence can be found by finding the limit of an/an+1 and the x term is excluded.
For example:Finding the interval of convergence of n!xn/nn
my tutor will find it in this way:
lim n!/nn[itex]\bullet[/itex](n+1)n+1/(n+1)!
n[itex]\rightarrow∞[/itex]
And finally found that the interval of convergence is (-e,e)
However, when I found it in typical way, I found it is (-1,1)
Are both method correct?
And why I cannot find the correct answer?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The power series ∑anxn is convergent if the limit of the ratio
##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}|\frac{a_{n+1}x^{n+1}}{a_n x_n}|\lt1 ##
which means ##|x| \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n }|\lt1 ##
that is
##|x| \lt \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}|\frac{a_{n} }{a_{n +1}}|##

The result of your tutor is correct, as

##\lim\frac{a_n}{{an+1}}=\lim\frac{n!}{n^n}\frac{(n+1)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}=\lim (\frac{n+1}{n})^n##

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
The "ratio test" can used to determine the convergence of almost any series. You can "ignore the x" when using the ratio test for power series.

You could also use the "root test". The series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges absolutely if [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{|a_n|}< 1[/itex]. With a power series, [itex]\sum a_nx^n[/itex], that becomes [itex]\lim \sqrt[n]{a_nx^n}= (\lim \sqrt[n]{a_n})|x|< 1[/itex] or [itex]|x|< 1/(\lim \sqrt[n]{a_n})[/itex].

Likes 1 person
And I would like to know how to type limit in this forum?
I have found it difficult to type limits.:redface:

HallsofIvy said:
The "ratio test" can used to determine the convergence of almost any series. You can "ignore the x" when using the ratio test for power series.

You could also use the "root test". The series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges absolutely if [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt[n]{|a_n|}< 1[/itex]. With a power series, [itex]\sum a_nx^n[/itex], that becomes [itex]\lim \sqrt[n]{a_nx^n}= (\lim \sqrt[n]{a_n})|x|< 1[/itex] or [itex]|x|< 1/(\lim \sqrt[n]{a_n})[/itex].

Sorry, I don't know how to find interval of convergence by root test.:frown:
This is my attempt.

Attachments

• DSC_0759-2[1].jpg
    DSC_0759-2[1].jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Likes 1 person
haha1234 said:
Sorry, I don't know how to find interval of convergence by root test.:frown:
This is my attempt.

The nth root refers to the whole an.
[tex]\sqrt[n]{\frac{n!e^n}{n^n}}=\sqrt[n]{n!}\frac{e}{n}[/tex]

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
haha1234 said:
And I would like to know how to type limit in this forum?
I have found it difficult to type limits.:redface:
Inline LaTeX, to have the limit appear within a sentence:
Code:
##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_n = L##
This renders as ##\lim_{n \to \infty}a_n = L##.
Standalone LaTeX, which puts the limit on its own line, and slightly larger.
Code:
$$\lim_{n \to \infty}a_n = L$$
The above will appear on its own line, like so:
$$\lim_{n \to \infty}a_n = L$$

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
The nth root refers to the whole an.
[tex]\sqrt[n]{\frac{n!e^n}{n^n}}=\sqrt[n]{n!}\frac{e}{n}[/tex]

ehild

Does the whole limit go to 0?
I don't know if the [itex]\sqrt[n]{n!}[/itex]is greater than n?

haha1234 said:

Use Stirling's Formula to see what is happening.

haha1234 said:
n! < nn, so ##\sqrt[n]{n!} < \sqrt[n]{n^n} = n##
Do you see why the first inequality is true?

haha1234 said:

No. (You can cheat by inputing it to wolframalpha.com)

So how can I find that if the boundaries are also included in the interval of convergence?:shy:

You substitute each endpoint of the interval into your summation and determine whether the series converges for that value.

Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
You substitute each endpoint of the interval into your summation and determine whether the series converges for that value.

I've sub x=e and tried for ratio test, but finally I found that the ratio is 1 thus it is inconclusive.
So do I need to try another test?

haha1234 said:
I've sub x=e and tried for ratio test, but finally I found that the ratio is 1 thus it is inconclusive.
So do I need to try another test?

You need to pay attention to the suggestions that people supply you. I will repeat my advice one more (but last) time: use Stirling's formula to see how the terms behave for large n. Your problem will then become straightforward.

Ray Vickson said:
You need to pay attention to the suggestions that people supply you. I will repeat my advice one more (but last) time: use Stirling's formula to see how the terms behave for large n. Your problem will then become straightforward.

That is a good idea.
But if I haven't learned it, what is another method to test it?:redface:

1. What is the ratio test for finding the radius of convergence?

The ratio test is a method used in mathematics to determine the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series, and if the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the series to the point where it converges.

2. How is the ratio test used to find the radius of convergence?

In order to find the radius of convergence, the ratio test is applied to the series. The limit of the ratio of consecutive terms is taken, and if the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. The distance from the center of the series to the point where it converges is then calculated to determine the radius of convergence.

3. What is the significance of finding the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence tells us the range of values for which the infinite series will converge. It is important because it helps us determine the validity and accuracy of the series. If the radius of convergence is large, the series will converge for a wider range of values, making it more useful for calculations and predictions.

4. What are the limitations of using the ratio test for finding the radius of convergence?

One limitation of the ratio test is that it only works for certain types of series, such as power series. It may not be applicable to other types of series. Additionally, the test may not always provide a definite answer, as the limit may be equal to 1, in which case further analysis is needed to determine convergence or divergence.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the radius of convergence?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to find the radius of convergence, such as the root test and the integral test. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of series and can provide a different perspective on the convergence or divergence of the series. Ultimately, it is important to use a combination of tests and methods to accurately determine the radius of convergence.