Rational motion combined with 2 springs

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the constant of spring 2 in a problem involving centripetal acceleration and Hooke's law. The speaker had already calculated the speed and centripetal force, but was unsure of how to proceed with finding the constant. Through further discussion and clarification, it was determined that the force in question was the centripetal force of Block B only.
Maggie
Homework Statement
Block A (0.40 kg) and block B (0.6 kg) are on a frictionless table (see figure). Spring 1 connects block A to a frictionless peg at 0 and spring 2 connects block A and block B. When the blocks are in uniform circular motion about 0, the springs have lengths of 0.60 m and 0.40 m, as shown. The springs are ideal and massless, and the linear speed of block B is 2.0 m/s. If the distance that spring 2 stretches is 0.055 m, the spring constant of spring 2 is closest to (in N/m)
Relevant Equations
F=kx
Fc=mv^2/R
ω=v/r
I first calculated the speed of two blocks using angular speed, then find the centripetal force of them, but I don't know how to proceed my calculation, what value should I plug into Hooke's law?

Attachments

• 无标题.png
    无标题.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 181
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, Maggie! :cool:

Can you show us your work so far?

The centripetal acceleration makes both springs stretch up to each of the given lengths.
Spring 2 was originally 0.055 m shorter.
It seems that the problem is asking for the constant of spring 2 only.

You know how much spring 2 has been stretched. In order to find its constant, what do you need to work out?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome, Maggie! :cool:

Can you show us your work so far?

The centripetal acceleration makes both springs stretch up to each of the given lengths.
Spring 2 was originally 0.055 m shorter.
It seems that the problem is asking for the constant of spring 2 only.
I find the angular velocity is 2rad/s, and speed of A is 1.2m/s, the Fc of B is 2.4N, I suppose that k=2.4/0.055=43.6?

Likes Lnewqban
haruspex said:
You know how much spring 2 has been stretched. In order to find its constant, what do you need to work out?
I think the force, is that centripetal force of Block B only?

Likes Lnewqban
Maggie said:
I think the force, is that centripetal force of Block B only?
Yes, and yes.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Yes, and yes.
Thank you so much now I got that!

Likes Lnewqban

What is rational motion combined with 2 springs?

Rational motion combined with 2 springs refers to the movement of an object under the influence of two springs that are connected in series or parallel. The motion is considered rational because it follows a predictable pattern and can be described mathematically.

How do 2 springs affect the motion of an object?

The two springs work together to exert a force on the object, causing it to move in a specific direction. The combined force of the two springs can either increase or decrease the overall stiffness of the system, resulting in changes in the amplitude and frequency of the motion.

What factors influence the motion of an object in a rational motion system with 2 springs?

The motion of an object in a rational motion system with 2 springs is influenced by several factors, including the stiffness of the springs, the mass of the object, and the initial conditions of the system (such as the initial position and velocity of the object).

What is the equation for calculating the motion of an object in a rational motion system with 2 springs?

The equation for calculating the motion of an object in a rational motion system with 2 springs is a differential equation known as the harmonic oscillator equation. It takes into account the mass of the object, the stiffness of the springs, and the initial conditions to determine the position of the object at any given time.

What are some real-world applications of rational motion combined with 2 springs?

Rational motion combined with 2 springs has many practical applications, such as in the suspension systems of vehicles, shock absorbers, and even musical instruments. It is also used in engineering and design to model and analyze the behavior of mechanical systems.