1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC circuit, expression for voltage

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume you have a fully charged capacitor with initial condition [itex]V(0) = V_0[/itex] connected in series to two resistors [itex]R_1[/itex] and [itex]R_2[/itex]. Derive an expression for the voltage over the capacitor with respect to time.

2. Relevant equations
    1. Kirchhoff's voltage law [itex]\sum_n V_n = 0[/itex]
    2. Ohm's law: [itex]V=RI[/itex]
    3. Capacitance of capacitor: [itex]C = \frac{Q}{V}[/itex]
    4. Current [itex]I = \frac{dQ}{dt}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I "go" in the direction of the current, then the potential difference over both resistors are negative whereas it is positive over the capacitor, hence
    [tex]V(t) - V_{R_{1}} - V_{R_{2}} = 0 = V(t) - R_1 I - R_2 I[/tex].
    Which I can rewrite using the time derivative of Q (3 and 4 from above)
    [tex]= V(t) - (R_1 + R_2)\frac{dQ}{dt} = V(t) - (R_1 + R_2)C\frac{dV(t)}{dt} = 0 \implies \frac{1}{(R_1 + R_2)C}V(t) - \frac{dV(t)}{dt} = 0[/tex].
    By solving this differential equation, I get
    [tex]V(t) = V_0e^\frac{t}{(R_1+R_2)C}[/tex]
    which is wrong, because the voltage should decrease over time, so a more logical solution would be
    [tex]V(t) = V_0e^{-\frac{t}{(R_1+R_2)C}}[/tex].
    Is there something I have overlooked? Is Kirchhoff's law setup incorrectly (sign conventions)?

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2
    VC(t) + VR1(t) + VR2(t) = 0 is the equation

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    Yes, I realize that has to be true for it to be correct, but I am just confused about the signs. My book (Sears and Zemansky's) mentions some sign conventions in relation to Kirchhoff's voltage law (see picture). w0QUQ.png
    So why is it + rather than - ?

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4
    You have 3 passive elements in the circuit and no driving emf. Don't know what confuses you.

6. Oct 6, 2014 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

nossren, have you considered what sign should be associated with dV/dt on the capacitor? Will V be increasing or decreasing given the direction of the current flow?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted