1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reactance, resistance and impedance

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1
    Could someone please help me out with this question, I can't find it everywhere in my book. Its a question I need to know for my exams as well.

Q. Distinguish between reactance, resistance and impedance and illustrate their relationship on an impedance phasor diagram.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you're aware that a phasor diagram represents periodic signals by a vector on a two-dimensional plane.

One of the dimensions (usually the horizontal dimension) is taken to be pure resistance, with a phase angle between voltage and current of zero degrees. A resistor is a purely resistive device.

The other dimension (usually the vertical dimension) is then reactance. A reactive load has an I-V relationship such that they are either 90 degrees or 270 degrees out of phase. Capacitors and inductors are purely reactive devices.

An impedance is any combination of pure resistance and pure reactance summed together.

- Warren

4. Aug 2, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?