Reaction forces in a two segment beam

In summary, the homework equation for a beam with pinned connections is:+cw ∑M_B=0: -136 + 3*Cy + M_B = 0
yaro99

Homework Statement

W6bzRhS.png

Homework Equations

∑Fx=0
∑Fy=0
∑M=0

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I am just concerned with part a.

I got the correct answers doing this:

First, FBD of segment AB:
D2AWbxD.png

+cw ∑M_A=0: -136 - 6*By = 0
By = -22.7N

two ways to get Ay:

one:
+cw ∑M_B=0: -136 + 6*Ay = 0
Ay = 22.7N

two:
∑Fy=0: -22.7 + Ay = 0
Ay = 22.7N

FDB entire beam:
Fbw3Iks.png

∑Fy=0: 22.7 - 22.7 + Cy = 0
Cy = 0

∑Fx=0: -440 + 220 + Cx = 0
Cx = 220N

Ok, so I got the correct answers. However, here is where I get confused. If I make a FBD on segment BC I get a different answer for Cy.

My attempt at a FBD:
hlxkOqq.png

this leads to either:
∑Fy=0: -22.7 + Cy = 0
Cy = 22.7N

or

+cw ∑M_B=0: -136 + 3*Cy = 0
Cy = 45.3N

Clearly my FBD is wrong for segment BC. I assume the correct FBD would have a zero reaction at point B; this would give the correct answer (0) for Cy. In order for Cy to be zero, there must be no forces or moment at point B in the FBD, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your free body diagram is wrong because when looking at that segment between the support at B and C , you must include the internal moment in the beam at B. Far simpler to take your FBD between the pin (just to the right of B ) and C. In this manner, the applied couple does not enter into your diagram.

PhanthomJay said:
Your free body diagram is wrong because when looking at that segment between the support at B and C , you must include the internal moment in the beam at B.

So my fbd is just missing an internal moment at B, and the resulting equation would be:
+cw ∑M_B=0: -136 + 3*Cy + M_B = 0
I can't solve directly for Cy since I don't have M_B.
Is this correct?

PhanthomJay said:
Far simpler to take your FBD between the pin (just to the right of B ) and C. In this manner, the applied couple does not enter into your diagram.
Would I not still have to include an internal moment? Wouldn't a complete diagram look something like this?
FYmQfRr.png

yaro99 said:
So my fbd is just missing an internal moment at B, and the resulting equation would be:
+cw ∑M_B=0: -136 + 3*Cy + M_B = 0
I can't solve directly for Cy since I don't have M_B.
Is this correct?
yes
Would I not still have to include an internal moment? Wouldn't a complete diagram look something like this?
FYmQfRr.png
unlike at an externally pinned support , there can be no internal moment in the beam at a pinned connection.

What is a reaction force in a two segment beam?

A reaction force in a two segment beam is the force that is exerted on a beam at its supports or points of connection. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the applied load on the beam.

How are reaction forces calculated in a two segment beam?

Reaction forces in a two segment beam can be calculated using the principles of static equilibrium. The sum of the forces in the vertical and horizontal directions must be equal to zero in order for the beam to remain in equilibrium. This allows us to determine the magnitude and direction of the reaction forces.

What factors affect the magnitude of reaction forces in a two segment beam?

The magnitude of reaction forces in a two segment beam is affected by the load applied to the beam, the length and geometry of the beam, and the type of support at each end. For example, a longer beam or a beam with a larger applied load will result in higher reaction forces at the supports.

Can reaction forces change along the length of a two segment beam?

Yes, reaction forces can change along the length of a two segment beam if the beam is subjected to varying loads or if there are different types of supports along its length. This can result in shear and bending moments in the beam, which can cause the reaction forces at different points to differ.

What are some real-world applications of understanding reaction forces in two segment beams?

Understanding reaction forces in two segment beams is crucial in the design and analysis of structures such as bridges, buildings, and cranes. It allows engineers to ensure that the beams can support the loads placed on them without failing or breaking. It is also important in the construction of everyday objects, such as furniture, to ensure their stability and safety.