1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the support reactions of a frame

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    Here is a link to the problem:
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/374/frameow.jpg" [Broken]
    I am trying to find the support reactions at A and B.
    I separated the frame at the hinge(call it C) into two parts and took the moment equation about point A.
    This gave me: [itex]\Sigma[/itex]Ma = -60(25) - 62.5(12.5) + Cx(25) + Cy(25)
    The forces in the y:[itex]\Sigma[/itex] Fy = -62.5 + Cy + Ay
    The forces in the x: [itex]\Sigma[/itex] Fx =60 + Ax - Cx

From here I am unsure what to do as I have four unknowns and only three equations.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:smile:Hello hobbyenthusia(st), welcome to these forums!:smile:

Try looking at the other part of the frame that includes the support at B. That should give you a total of 6 equations with a total of 6 unknowns.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    I completely missed that. Thank you.
    After taking the moments for each side is it as simple as solving Cx in terms of Cy or vice versa and finishing it up?

5. Sep 2, 2011 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, solve for Cx and Cy and the rest will follow. Please watch plus and minus signs! If Cx is assumed or found to act to the left on the left section, it must act to the right on the right section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook