Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction of metals in acids

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    Metals will react with acid to form a salt and water. But won't the metal also react with water to form an hydroxide? Similarly, when I put sodium metal into a zinc sulfate solution will displacement occur or will the sodium react with water? Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2
    What do you think? Remember that different metals have different properties.Compare,for example,sodium with gold.

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3
    Sodium is more reactive so it will react with water? But why won't it displace but instead react with water? Also I'm unsure why won't the sodium also react with water...

Thanks for the help!

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sodium has not time to react with dissolved Zn - it will react with water first, just because of the very high reactivity. Some metals can be reduced with metallic sodium, but it is done not in the solution, but in the molten salts. See for example: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ba-1957-0019.ch014

I seem to remember one of the light elements was first prepared in the pure form bu the sodium reduction, but for the life of me, I can't remember details.

6. Feb 28, 2012 #5
    Oh ok. Thanks for the help.:) then also, when I react eg Mg with HCl, Mg+2HCl-->MgCl2+H2. Then when I do the mole calculation I'll use this reactions to determine my values? So I ignore the reaction of metals and water? Reaction:Mg+2H2O-->Mg(OH)2+H2

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. Feb 28, 2012 #6

Borek

Even if you have a reaction of Mg with water, it doesn't matter. What happens to the Mg(OH)2 in the presence of acid? What is the overall reaction?

8. Feb 28, 2012 #7
    I know that it would produce a salt too, but won't the calculations be different?

9. Feb 28, 2012 #8

Borek

Write overall reaction equation.

10. Feb 28, 2012 #9
    Mg+H2O+2HCL>MgCl2+H2+H2O Ohh, the H2O produced would cancel out!

11. Feb 28, 2012 #10
    Borek, you are a genius.

12. Feb 28, 2012 #11

Borek

Quite the opposite, but I will spare you details.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook