Reading currents and controlling voltages in c++

In summary, reading currents and controlling voltages in C++ involves understanding the flow of electricity through a circuit and being able to manipulate the voltage to achieve desired results. This can be done through various methods such as using mathematical equations, conditional statements, and input/output functions. It is important to have a thorough understanding of the concepts and syntax of C++ in order to effectively control currents and voltages in a program. Additionally, proper error handling and testing is crucial to ensure the accuracy and safety of the program.
Mr_Grieves
Hi all -- I'm writing a controller for an interferometer and I need to be able to control the voltage across a terminal and read the current from a photodiode in c++. What would be a good, reasonably priced peripheral that would accomplish this, preferably with linux support?

Better yet, is it possible to perform this using the 1/8'' speaker output with any real precision?

Thanks,
Dave

Technology news on Phys.org
As a note: I'm very new to writing interfaces between programs and peripherals. If I'm going about this the wrong way, let me know. Please, no suggestions to using LabVIEW though :)

The microphone input is generally 8bits and pretty fast 20-40khz, you are probably going to need to build more electronics to interface to it - but it will be cheaper than using custom hardware http://www.techlib.com/Karen/misc.htm#Mic Input Telemetry

In the Uk these people are great http://www.picotech.com/, otherwiseyou cna probably find similair stuff locally. Look for devices aimed at education (http://www.heathkit.com/) or hobbies rather than the industrial control ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. Is there a set of linux libraries that will let me control/record the mic signal in c++ that anyone can recommend?

Dave

Related to Reading currents and controlling voltages in c++

1. How can I read current values in C++?

To read current values in C++, you will need to use a current sensing module or device that is compatible with C++ programming. This module will allow you to measure the current flowing through a circuit and can provide you with the necessary data to analyze and control it.

2. Can I control voltage levels using C++?

Yes, you can control voltage levels using C++. This can be done by using a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) module or device, which will allow you to set the desired voltage level for a specific circuit. Additionally, you can also use C++ to program a microcontroller or microprocessor to adjust voltage levels.

3. How do I incorporate reading current and controlling voltage into my C++ program?

You will need to first identify and select the appropriate current sensing and voltage controlling modules or devices that are compatible with C++. Then, you can use C++ libraries or APIs to integrate these modules into your program. You will also need to write code to read current values and control voltage levels based on your specific requirements and circuit design.

4. Are there any specific libraries or APIs for reading currents and controlling voltages in C++?

Yes, there are several libraries and APIs available for reading currents and controlling voltages in C++. Some popular options include the analogRead() and analogWrite() functions in the Arduino library, the wiringPi library for Raspberry Pi, and the libmraa library for Intel Edison.

5. Can I use C++ to read and control currents and voltages in real-time?

Yes, C++ can be used to read and control currents and voltages in real-time. This is especially useful for applications that require precise and timely adjustments to voltage levels based on current readings. However, the speed and accuracy of your real-time control will depend on the capabilities of your hardware and the efficiency of your C++ code.