1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis: Continuity and Uniform Continuity

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    Question: Show that f(x)= (x^2)/((x^2)+1) is continuous on [0,infinity). Is it uniformly continuous?

My attempt: So I know that continuity is defined as
    "given any Epsilon, and for all x contained in A, there exists delta >0 such that if y is contained in A and abs(y-x)<delta, then abs(f(x)-f(y))<Epsilon.

So i tried expanding the function, but still can not find the values for delta that make this continuous on [0,infinity). Any ideas?

Also, it is NOT uniformly continuous correct?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

well its definitely continuous on [0,inf) - can you show that?

now for the "uniform continuity part", not as the actual proof, but I would consider the derivative - it should give you an idea of how to approach the problem

loosely speaking if a function is uniformly continuous it shouldn't have a derivative that misbehaves

consider
    [tex] |\frac{f(y)-f(x)}{y-x}|[/tex]
    in the limit y goes to x, this becomes the derivative...

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    Hey, so one of the problem I had was that I could not find a way to show it was continuous. I tried to show it using the delta-epsilon definition of continuity, but couldnt figure out a way to find delta.

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok so where did you get stuck?

6. Jul 20, 2011 #5
    So i did absolute(f(x)-f(y))= abs( ((x^2)/((x^2)+1)) - ((y^2)/((y^2)+1)) ). I simplified this to get abs( ((x^2)-(y^2))/((x^2)+1)((y^2)+1)) ).

Now I tried to set it up so that abs ( x-y ) is less than 1 (which would be one of the minimum components of delta) so that I can try to abs( x-y ) less than something with respect to epsilon. However, I am stuck on how I can use <1 to find the deltas that make abs( f(x)-f(y) ) < E for any given E.

7. Jul 20, 2011 #6
    I believe you have your definitions backwards. A function is continuous at a point x if given epsilon there is a delta. If you pick some different point y, then given the same epsilon, you may need a different delta.

If the same delta works for a given epsilon regardless of x, that is uniform continuity.

What you wrote above is the definition of uniform continuity ... given epsilon, for any x there's a delta. The def of continuity is that given x, for any epsilon there is a delta that depends on x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook