1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis - Differentiation in R^n - Example of a specific function

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give an example of a continuous function f:R^2→R having partial derivatives at (0,0) with
    f_1 (0,0)≠0,f_2 (0,0)≠0
    But the vector (f_1 (0,0),f_2 (0,0)) does not point in the direction of maximal change, even though there is such a direction.

(If this is too difficult to read, please see the PDF for a nicer version)

Note that this is a problem from TBB's Elementary Real Analysis

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to attempt the construction of such a function. Any tips, suggestions, or a walkthrough of how to find such a function would be greatly appreciated. If you feel like giving me an answer, please explain it because understanding this is the most important part of this.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    I think you've recognized that this problem has you finding a "counterexample" to a well-known theorem in multivariate calc (it's not really a counterexample to the the theorem, because the theorem is true). If I were you, I would look carefully at the statement and proof of that theorem to see what conditions a function needs to satisfy in order for the theorem to apply. Then try to construct a function that doesn't have the necessary qualities.

Also, the fact that the problem doesn't use the word "gradient" may be a hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook