Differentiable function of 2 variables

In summary, the problem is asking to prove that the given function has directional derivative in every direction, but is not differentiable at the point (0,0). The attempt at a solution includes deriving the partial derivatives and concluding that the function is differentiable, but this is incorrect as having partial derivatives does not necessarily imply differentiability. It is suggested to double check the definition of differentiability in the multivariable case.
Chromosom

Homework Statement

Prove that function has directional derivative in every direction, but is not differentiable in (0,0):

[tex]f(x,y)=\begin{cases}\frac{x^3}{x^2+y^2},&(x,y)\neq(0,0)\\ \\0,&(x,y)=(0,0)\end{cases}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already proved that it has directional derivative in every direction. But in my opinion, if it has directional derivative in direction of OX and OY, it has partial derivatives, so that it is differentiable. Let's derive it:

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{f(h,0)-f(0,0)}{h}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{\frac{h^3}{h^2+0}}{h}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{h^3}{h^3}=1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{f(0,h)-f(0,0)}{h}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{\frac{0}{0+h^2}}{h}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{0}{h^3}=0[/tex]

Function is also continuous in (0,0) (although it does not affect differentiability). Is there a mistake in this exercise?

Physics news on Phys.org
hold on a second, are you sure that
[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{0}{h^3} = 0[/tex]
I think you might have been going through this too quickly, and put an incorrect answer.

edit: blech, oh no, I am the one that has gone through it too quickly and come to the wrong conclusion. ah, yeah you're right, it is zero, since the numerator is zero.

Hmm. so yeah, it does look like the function is differentiable. wikipedia says: "If the partial derivatives of a function all exist and are continuous in a neighbourhood of a point, then the function must be differentiable at that point". So I guess this is the condition to check.

yeah, my hint is to check if the partial derivatives behave nicely in a neighbourhood of the point (0,0)

Chromosom said:

Homework Statement

Prove that function has directional derivative in every direction, but is not differentiable in (0,0):

[tex]f(x,y)=\begin{cases}\frac{x^3}{x^2+y^2},&(x,y)\neq(0,0)\\ \\0,&(x,y)=(0,0)\end{cases}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already proved that it has directional derivative in every direction. But in my opinion, if it has directional derivative in direction of OX and OY, it has partial derivatives, so that it is differentiable. Let's derive it:

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{f(h,0)-f(0,0)}{h}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{\frac{h^3}{h^2+0}}{h}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{h^3}{h^3}=1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{f(0,h)-f(0,0)}{h}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{\frac{0}{0+h^2}}{h}=\lim_{h\to0}\frac{0}{h^3}=0[/tex]

Function is also continuous in (0,0) (although it does not affect differentiability). Is there a mistake in this exercise?

In the multivariable case there is a difference between "having partial derivatives" and "being differentiable". Look in your textbook, or Google 'differentiable function + multivariable'. I am not saying your function is, or is not differentiable; I am just saying that your justification is faulty.

1. What is a differentiable function of 2 variables?

A differentiable function of 2 variables is a mathematical function that has two independent variables and has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and continuous and can be differentiated to find the slope of the curve at any point.

2. How do you determine if a function is differentiable?

There are a few ways to determine if a function is differentiable. One way is to check if the partial derivatives of the function exist and are continuous at every point in the domain. Another way is to use the definition of differentiability, which states that a function is differentiable if the limit of the difference quotient exists as the input values approach a particular point.

3. What is the purpose of differentiability in mathematics?

Differentiability is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at any given point. By finding the derivative of a function, we can determine the slope of the curve and use this information to analyze changes and rates of change in the function. This is useful in many areas, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. Can a function be differentiable but not continuous?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be differentiable but not continuous. This means that the function has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain, but there may be points where the function is not continuous. In this case, the function may have a sharp corner or a vertical tangent at those points.

5. How do you find the derivative of a differentiable function of 2 variables?

To find the derivative of a differentiable function of 2 variables, we use the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each independent variable. These partial derivatives can be found using the limit definition of derivative, or by using rules for finding derivatives of multivariable functions. The result is a vector of partial derivatives, which represents the slope of the function in the x and y directions at a given point.