Real Analysis - Prove the following: inf A = -sup(-A)

In summary, the conversation is about proving the statement inf A = -Sup(-A) given a nonempty set of real numbers A that is bounded below. The conversation includes suggestions on how to approach the problem and a reminder to use the definitions of infimum and supremum.
jmac85

Homework Statement

Let A be a nonempty set of real numbers which is bounded below. Let -A be the set of all numbers -x, where x is in A. Prove that:
inf A = -Sup(-A)

Homework Equations

What should I use as a starting statement? I understand that its true. It makes sense in my head but I can't get it out on paper. l believe this to be right, although I'm not sure if my assumptions are correct or if what I did is actually legal to do. This is from Rudin's Principlese of Mathematical Analysis - Page 22 - Problem 6

The Attempt at a Solution

By definition --
inf A --> x <= y where y is in A
sup(-A) --> -x >= -y where y is in A

Thus --
-sup(-A) --> -(-x >= -y) --> x <= y

So we see --
-sup(-A) --> x <= y where y is in A

Therefore --
inf A = -sup(-A)

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've done is show that the negative of a lower bound of A is an upper bound of -A. But you haven't proven that the negative of the greatest lower bound is the least upper bound of -A.

You may want to approach the problem by proving these 2 inequalities :

1) inf(A) <= -sup(-A) , or equivalently, sup(-A) <= -inf(A)

2) inf(A) >= -sup(-A)

Combining these 2 inequalities will give you the desired result.

Start with definition of infimum and supremum.
Then take sup A where A is a set of real numbers.
Define a set B = -A. Take inf of B.

Thank you all! I'll be working on the problem again tonight, this time with some new things to try!

1. What is "Real Analysis"?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties, such as continuity, limits, differentiation, and integration.

2. What does "inf" and "sup" refer to in Real Analysis?

In Real Analysis, "inf" refers to the infimum, which is the greatest lower bound of a set, while "sup" refers to the supremum, which is the least upper bound of a set.

3. Can you explain the statement "inf A = -sup(-A)"?

This statement means that the infimum of a set A is equal to the negative of the supremum of the negative of set A. In other words, the smallest value in set A is equal to the negative of the largest value in the negative of set A.

4. How can you prove the statement "inf A = -sup(-A)"?

To prove this statement, we first need to show that the infimum of A is less than or equal to the negative of the supremum of the negative of A. Then, we need to show that the negative of the supremum of the negative of A is less than or equal to the infimum of A. By showing both of these inequalities, we can conclude that the infimum of A is equal to the negative of the supremum of the negative of A.

5. Why is the statement "inf A = -sup(-A)" important in Real Analysis?

This statement is important because it shows the relationship between the infimum and supremum of a set and their negatives. It also allows us to use properties of infima and suprema to prove properties of sets and functions in Real Analysis. Additionally, it helps us understand the behavior of functions and sets on the real number line.