1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis Question: Sequences and Closed Sets

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let {xn} be a sequence of real numbers. Let E denote the set of all numbers z that have the property that there exists a subsequence {xnk} convergent to z. Show that E is closed.

2. Relevant equations
    A closed set must contain all of its accumulation points.
    Sets with no accumulation points are closed.
    The Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem: every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence.

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I've done for this problem is I've split it up into several cases.

Case 1

{xn} is convergent to some number z. Then all subsequences converge to that number z. Thus, E = {z}. Since E is a finite set (consisting of one isolated point), it is closed.

Case 2
    {xn} is unbounded and divergent. Then, by the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, there are no convergent subsequences. Thus, E=∅, which is both open and closed.

Case 3
    {xn} is bounded and divergent. Then, by the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, there exists at least one convergent subsequence. If there are finitely many convergent subsequences, then E is a finite set and thus, is closed.

The problem I am having is what if there are infinitely many convergent subsequences? The idea in my head is that the set E would contain elements which were isolated from one another. However, I am having a pretty hard time clarifying this idea in my head.

Any hints would be much appreciated! Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try showing that the complement of E is open. You don't really need all those cases.

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    So the complement of E would be all such numbers that don't have a subsequence which converges to it?

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. If you can show that set is open, then E is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook