1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real analysis with exponential functions; given f(x) = f'(x)

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(x)=f'(x) for all x in R
    S.T there exists a c in R such that f(x) = c exp(x) for all x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    By defining g = f/c, I was able to show that c= f(0)
    But i am also supposed to show that c Not equal to any other value

I tried assuming that c=f(1) and cannot find a contradiction unless I plug it into f(1)=f(1).exp(1).

I am supposed to use Mean value Thm to show the contradiction. How do I go about doing it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Exponentials

I don't see what your point is. I assume that "S.T" means "show that" rather than the usual "such that".
    You are not supposed to show that c is unique. I think you are supposed to show that if f'(x) = f(x) holds, then f(x) must be some multiple of exp(x).

How you are going to do this depends on what you know and can use. For example, using the theory of differential equations you can easily show that the equation f'(x) = f(x) with f(0) = c has a unique solution.

4. May 7, 2009 #3
    Re: Exponentials

This is in real analysis in the section on exponential functions. So I can't use differential equations.

The only way, I suppose, is to arrive at a contradiction if c not= f(0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook