Proving There Does Not Exist a Continuous Function

In summary, Dick thinks that in order to solve this homework problem, he needs to use the IVT and create a contradiction. However, he's not sure if he can do this or not. He asks Alice if she can help him and she says she doesn't know how to do it either.
Lee33

Homework Statement

Prove that there does not exist a continuous, bijective function ##f:[0,1)\to \mathbb{R}.##

2. The attempt at a solution

I am stumped on how to do this question. What I was thinking of doing was assume that there is a function and arrive at a contradiction, in doing so I know I need to use the IVT since ##f## is assumed to be continuous, but I can't create such a contradiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theorem:
Let be [itex]f : A \subset E \longrightarrow F[/itex]
The following properties are equivalent:
1) f is continuos in [itex]A[/itex]
2) If [itex]T[/itex] is a open set in (F,d'), then [itex]f^{-1}(T)[/itex] is open set in the subspace (A,d)
3) If [itex]T[/itex] is a closed set in (F,d'), then [itex]f^{-1}(T)[/itex] is closed set in the subspace (A,d)
4) For all set [itex]S[/itex] with [itex]S \subset A[/itex]:
[itex]f(A \cap \overline{S} \subset \overline{f(S)}[/itex]

I studied it in a course of "Introduction to Analysis" (It was roughly Metric Spaces Topology).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Lee33 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that there does not exist a continuous, bijective function ##f:[0,1)\to \mathbb{R}.##

2. The attempt at a solution

I am stumped on how to do this question. What I was thinking of doing was assume that there is a function and arrive at a contradiction, in doing so I know I need to use the IVT since ##f## is assumed to be continuous, but I can't create such a contradiction.

Think back to one of your previous exercises and draw pictures of possibilities for the function. Using the IVT, isn't it true that since f is one-to-one then f([0,1/2])=[f(0),f(1/2)]? Now where are you going to put f((1/2,1))??

Last edited:
Dick - So I can assume an ##x\in [0,1/2]## such that ##f(x)\le f(0)##?

Last edited:
Lee33 said:
Dick - So I can assume an ##x\in [0,1/2)## such that ##f(x)<f(0)##?

Well, no. I actually stated what I said a little wrong. I meant that f([0,1/2]) is equal to either [f(0),f(1/2)] or [f(1/2),f(0)] depending on whether f(0)<f(1/2) or vice versa. You remember the previous exercise, right?

Hmm, can you elaborate a bit more? If I consider the case when ##f(0) <f(1/2)## then that must imply that ##[f(0),f(1/2]##?

But in that proof, we considered ##x\in (a,b)## such that ##f(x) <f(a)## and you said I can't do that here.

Lee33 said:
But in that proof, we considered ##x\in (a,b)## such that ##f(x) <f(a)## and you said I can't do that here.

In that proof they assumed a<b because they wanted to write the interval [a,b] without having to say [a,b] if a<b or [b,a] if b<a. It's not important. The substance of the proof is. In this case I know 0<1/2. So I don't have to say 'assume 0<1/2'. f([0,1/2]) is either [f(0),f(1/2)] or [f(1/2),f(0)] depending. That's what I would like you to confirm that you still understand. I don't know what this x is you are speaking of here.

So, since this is a bijection then for ##0<1/2## we have ##[f(0), f(1/2)]## and for ##1/2 < 1## we have ##[f(1/2),f(1)]##.

Lee33 said:
So, since this is a bijection then for ##0<1/2## we have ##[f(0), f(1/2)]## and for ##1/2 < 1## we have ##[f(1/2),f(1)]##.

No, you don't. I don't even think that means anything. f(1) isn't even necessarily defined. Can you just confirm that you understand why f([0,1/2]) is equal to either [f(0),f(1/2)] or [f(1/2),f(0)], you seemed comfortable with the proof yesterday.

Yes, I can confirm that because we proved that yesterday.

Lee33 said:
Yes, I can confirm that because we proved that yesterday.

Alright! Let's assume for the moment that f([0,1/2])=[f(0),f(1/2)]. Then f(3/4) is either greater than f(1/2) or less than f(0), right? You should really be drawing pictures here.

I drew a graph of a function ##f(x) = x## so it's just a diagonal line. Now for ##f(3/4)## why would it be less that ##f(0)##?

Lee33 said:
I drew a graph of a function ##f(x) = x## so it just a diagonal line. Now for ##f(3/4)## why would it be less that ##f(0)##?

f(x) is any bijective continuous function. It doesn't have to be f(x)=x. Draw a picture where you wiggle f(x) around anyway you want as long as it's continuous. I'm going to bed soon so I'll try and give you too many hints and see if you can figure it out. If f(3/4)>f(1/2), and since the function is onto, there must also be an x such that f(x)<f(0) and x must be greater than 1/2. Why? Try and draw such functions see why they can't be bijective. Using the IVT that would give you a contradiction with one-to-oneness. Just try it. I'll be back tomorrow.

Last edited:
Okay, I will try it. Thanks!

Lee33 said:
Okay, I will try it. Thanks!

Actually trying to work your previous result into this isn't making it any simpler. Just think about f(0). Since f is onto, there must be an x in (0,1) such that f(x)=f(0)+1 and a y in (0,1) such that f(y)=f(0)-1. Just think about that.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Proving There Does Not Exist a Continuous Function

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph. This means that as the input values of the function change, the output values change smoothly and without any interruptions.

2. Why is it important to prove that a continuous function does not exist?

Proving that a continuous function does not exist is important in mathematics because it helps to define the limits and boundaries of what is possible. It also allows us to identify the limitations of certain mathematical concepts and theories.

3. What are some methods for proving that a continuous function does not exist?

There are several methods for proving that a continuous function does not exist. These include using the definition of continuity, using counterexamples, and using the intermediate value theorem.

4. Can a function be continuous on a closed interval but not on an open interval?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous on a closed interval but not on an open interval. This is because a closed interval includes its endpoints, which can help to smooth out any potential breaks or jumps in the function.

5. Are there any real-world applications for proving that a continuous function does not exist?

Yes, there are real-world applications for proving that a continuous function does not exist. For example, in physics and engineering, it is important to know the limitations of certain mathematical models and functions in order to accurately predict and analyze real-world phenomena.

Back