How Does Real-d 3d and Mirrors Affect Viewing Experience?

• Thread starter J man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Mirror
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's observation while tinkering with 3d glasses after watching Jurassic Park. They noticed that when looking in a plane mirror with one eye closed, the lens with the closed eye remains clear while the lens with the open eye appears dark. They then try to understand this phenomenon by recalling how Real-d 3d works with polarized light. After seeking clarification, they come to the realization that the polarization of light is flipped when passing through a polarized film, which explains why the lens with the open eye is always dark and the lens with the closed eye is always clear.
J man
I saw Jurassic Park 3d today and started tinkering with the glasses after I got home. Here, I noticed that if I close one eye and look in a plane mirror that the 'lens' with the closed eye is always clear and the 'lens' with the open eye is always dark. I understand that Real-d 3d works by using clockwise and counter-clockwise polarizations of light and polarizing it for the viewer one way for each eye, and if I'm recalling correctly light reflected off of mirrors only flips in polarization. I'm trying to piece this observation together, but feel like I am missing something to fully explain it.

Can someone please help to fully explain or point out any incorrect parts, so that I can make sense of this?

Edit: Solved- I was over-thinking it and did not realize what happens with light and 2 opposing polarization films.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
When you look in the mirror, the polarization of the light of the open eye is flipped when it passes through the polarized film, and the polarization of the light of the closed eye remains unchanged. This explains why the lens with the open eye is always dark and the lens with the closed eye is always clear.

1. What is Real-D 3D technology?

Real-D 3D technology is a type of 3D movie projection that uses circular polarized light to create a 3D viewing experience. This technology allows viewers to see images in both 2D and 3D without the need for special glasses.

2. How does Real-D 3D technology work?

Real-D 3D technology works by projecting two separate images with different polarizations onto the screen. Viewers wear glasses with lenses that are polarized in opposite directions, allowing each eye to see a different image. Our brain then combines these two images, creating the illusion of depth and a 3D effect.

3. Can I watch a Real-D 3D movie without special glasses?

No, you cannot watch a Real-D 3D movie without special glasses. The polarization of the glasses is essential for creating the 3D effect. Without them, the images on the screen would appear blurry and distorted.

4. What is the difference between Real-D 3D and traditional 3D movies?

The main difference between Real-D 3D and traditional 3D movies is the technology used to create the 3D effect. Real-D 3D uses circular polarized light, while traditional 3D movies use linear polarized light. This means that Real-D 3D movies are more efficient, and viewers can enjoy the 3D effect without any noticeable flickering or ghosting.

5. Is Real-D 3D technology safe for all viewers?

Yes, Real-D 3D technology is considered safe for all viewers. The polarized glasses used for this technology do not emit any harmful radiation or cause any eye strain. However, it is not recommended for individuals with certain vision impairments or those who are sensitive to flashing lights.