Real height and apparent height

• Thread starter jadelamlam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, if the line of sight, object, and image are collinear, we can apply the equation d/D = n (medium containing observer) / n (medium containing object) to find the distance between the image and object. However, if the line of sight is not perpendicular to the boundary of the media, the image will appear along the line of sight but the object will not be on the same line. In this case, the equation is no longer correct and we must find the exact position of the image using algebraic methods. This may involve knowing the horizontal and vertical distances between the image and the boundary.
jadelamlam

Homework Statement

if the line of sight,object,image are collinear,we can apply the equation
d/D = n(medium containing observer) / n(medium containing object)
Where d = distance between image and boundary(apparent height/depth)
D = distance between object and boundary.(real height/depth)

If the line of sight is not perpendicular to the boundary of the media,the image I is along the line of sight.However the object O is not on the same line.
The equation d/D = n(medium containing observer) / n(medium containing object) is no longer correct.

In this situation,how can we find the exact position of I by algebraic method?

Homework Equations

d/D = n(medium containing observer) / n(medium containing object)

The Attempt at a Solution

please see the attachment,the words in blue is done by myself.

PS.the angle between line of sight and the horizontal = 180 - 90 - 33.7 = 56.3 degree
I don't think the real height = 4.38tan56.3 = 6.57m,as it is not necessary that I is perpendicular to Q(the object).

I think we have to know the horizontal and vertical distance between I and B in order to get the answer,is there any idea?

thx a lot

Attachments

• physics.JPG
    physics.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,912
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jadelamlam! :smile:

The position 'I' appears on the line of sight the camera has, because that's where it 'thinks' the light is coming from. Also, since it can only 'just' see the top flag, where would 'I' be on the line AB? :wink:

This is what I am asking for =.=,I don't know how to calculate the exact position of I.
Roughly estimate,I should be higher than Q and further away from B(I should lie on line AB)

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between real height and apparent height?

Real height refers to the actual height of an object, while apparent height is how tall an object appears to be from a certain perspective. This can be affected by factors such as distance, angle of view, and visual illusions.

2. How can we calculate the apparent height of an object?

The apparent height of an object can be calculated using the formula: apparent height = real height x (distance to object ÷ distance to observer). This formula takes into account the distance between the object and the observer, which can greatly impact the perceived height of an object.

3. Can the apparent height of an object change?

Yes, the apparent height of an object can change depending on the distance and angle of view from which it is observed. For example, an object may appear taller when viewed from a lower angle, or smaller when viewed from a greater distance.

4. How does perspective affect the apparent height of an object?

Perspective plays a significant role in the apparent height of an object. When an object is viewed from a distance, it may appear smaller due to the way our eyes perceive depth and distance. Conversely, when an object is viewed up close, it may appear taller due to a change in perspective.

5. Can visual illusions affect our perception of real and apparent height?

Yes, visual illusions can greatly impact our perception of real and apparent height. For example, the Ames room illusion can make two people of the same height appear drastically different in size due to the manipulation of distance and angles. These illusions demonstrate how our brains can be easily fooled by visual cues.