Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really bad TV shows

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1

turbo

Gold Member

I just watched a TNT "movie" about Spartans. It was an absolute piece of crap from beginning to end. The whole set-up was that in close quarters, 300 Spartans could withstand continuous onslaughts from numerically superior forces (with lots of poetic license given to the character of the villain). Please avoid this stinker like th plague!!!! The battle-scenes were not-at-all realistic CGI with little snippets of the actors here and there. If I could have cued this stinker up for Sunday's PF chat, I would have, but it would not have been as fun as running a transcript of a real classic like Caddyshack.

BTW, I don't type all that well in real-time. I ain't no court reporter.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2
    I loved 300. The movie is absolutely awful, but I thought the battles were fun to watch - and that's all it takes for me to enjoy a movie.

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Anyone that has not experienced a Hurkyl narrated movie during chat cannot imagine what he is capable of.

I want TIME BANDITS!!

5. Sep 25, 2010 #4
    At the time the movie came out there was a great documentary on the history channel. After watching both the documentary was 1000 times better, and there were even animations.

6. Sep 25, 2010 #5
    I find that most of TV is crap. It seems like the networks cut deals with certain producers and actors, so they keep the crap on anyway since the contract buyout is too expensive.
    I noticed this alot on NBC. Alot of the shows are by the same producers or actors.
    That show Joey, the spinoff from friends. That had to be one of the worst shows on tv, yet they kept it on because they had too much money into it.

7. Sep 25, 2010 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If this was the movie 300, don't blow a gasket. It was not meant to be historically accurate in the slightest. It was a "bring 5 of your guy friends and a large soda to the movies and turn your brain off" movie and it never gave any pretense to be anything other than that.

8. Sep 25, 2010 #7
    On the contrary to the topic Boardwalk Empire is really good. The Pilot aired last week and it was beyond expectations. The Event looks relatively interesting too.

9. Sep 25, 2010 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of the made-for-tv sci-fi, like Atomic Twister, is as bad as it gets for sci-fi.

Every reality TV show that I've tried to watch was so dumb that I couldn't stand it. Today something came on with people eating, and then vomiting, worms. Lord.

10. Sep 25, 2010 #9
    Library of Silence is hilarious, all Japanese game shows are unimaginably creative. There was one where they were playing soccer with binoculars, very clever.

11. Sep 26, 2010 #10

diazona

Homework Helper

Oh yes, I saw that one! Pretty hilariously terrible, at least as far as the science was concerned. I thought it actually wasn't bad in other respects.

The worst I've ever seen, though, has to be Annihilation: Earth. And not in a funny way, either - it was just painful.

12. Sep 26, 2010 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True, they can sometimes do a decent job with the drama, even in a classically bad sci-fi.

I have to admit that I got a kick out of Volcano. It was esp fun since I spent a lot of time right where the hospital scenes took place, at Cedar Sinai. We had an MRI unit positioned where all of the filming took place.

I was trying to recall what would be the worst I've ever seen. There is a movie called "2012 Doomsday", I think, that is right up there.

13. Sep 26, 2010 #12

diazona

Homework Helper

I think I've heard of that - never seen it, though. I'll have to keep an eye out for it on the SciFi channel once I've sufficiently purged my last run of bad SF watching from my memory :biggrin:

14. Sep 26, 2010 #13
    oh god this is the greatest thing ever hahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwvVh0_ZelI

15. Sep 26, 2010 #14

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

How is it possible to be creative without any imagination?

16. Sep 26, 2010 #15
    Maybe the word supra-imaginable was more appropriate and by unimaginably I mean beyond something the norm would imagine of.

17. Sep 26, 2010 #16

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I know what you meant, I was just kidding. :smile:

18. Sep 26, 2010 #17
    The worst show on TV right is, without a doubt, "Ghost Hunters" on the "Sy Fy" (why oh why did they change the name?) channel. It's about a paranormal society that goes to supposedly haunted locations and "proves" the haunting by using blinking LED lights and random noises in recording that they extrapolate into "ghosts be slamming doors!"

It's actually funny how bad it is.

19. Sep 26, 2010 #18
    This film along with many others are made by this company: http://www.theasylum.cc/

They make straight to DVD movies which are strikingly similar to blockbusters about to be released by Hollywood.

A few of their productions:
    Transmorphers
    Transmorphers II: The Fall of Man
    Titanic 2 (recent release)
    Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus
    30,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    18 Year Old Virgin
    100 Million BC
    AVH: Alien vs. Hunter

The list goes on, hit Home Entertainment at the top and then in the bottom left there's a film choice list box if you want to see what other classy stuff they produce.

So far as TV shows go, there's far too much vampire stuff on now, just like films. Wasn't so long ago the only vampire show to watch was Buffy.

20. Sep 26, 2010 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I figured there would be no point in watching that one. I wouldn't be able to follow it, since I didn't see 1 thru 299.

21. Sep 26, 2010 #20
    It's okay, you really just need to watch all the prime ones to catch up.

22. Sep 26, 2010 #21

turbo

Gold Member

Did the prime episodes have plots?

23. Sep 26, 2010 #22

Danger

Gold Member

That's hilarious! That clip might have just supplanted "a dozen blind lesbians in a fish market" as the definition of "chaos".

24. Sep 26, 2010 #23
    Oh Japan has some great shows. I was there for 2 weeks on business and got to watch alot of tv.

The funniest was a candid camera type show where they would stalk americans at the navy base in yokohama. The budget couldn't have been more then a blank tape for the video camera and gas money, but it was funny.

On the other side, I hate when american tv tries to take japan's shows and do them here. Like Wipeout, the japanese version is sublime, Wipeout is just stupid.

25. Sep 26, 2010 #24
    Even the TV news channels have become unbearable.

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/jim-morin/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook