Solving an ODE: Methods and Confusion

• Thread starter n00by
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the equation is separable into partial fraction form, and integrating each equation solved for y.
n00by
The equation I'm trying to solve is

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y^2 - 1}{x^2-1}[/itex], given y(2) = 2

The methods I'm somewhat familiar with are separation of variables, integrating factor, and exact. I tried this:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y^2 - 1}{x^2-1}[/itex]

[itex](x^2 - 1)dy = (y^2-1)dx[/itex]

[itex](x^2 - 1)dy - (y^2-1)dx= 0[/itex]

So, now it's an exact equation, right?

I tried integrating each part:

[itex]\int (x^2 - 1)dy = (x^2-1)y+c1(x)[/itex]

[itex]\int (y^2 - 1)dx = (y^2-1)x+c1(y)[/itex]

But now I'm confused what I'm supposed to do! If I just let the constants of integration be zero, then I have:

[itex](x^2-1)y[/itex]

[itex](y^2-1)x[/itex]

But what do I do with those?

I'm really confused :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,
Try this:
[tex]dy/(y^2-1)=dx/(x^2-1)[/tex]
You can apply partial fractions

Hi, I don't see how I can apply partial fractions to [itex]\frac {dy}{y^2-1}[/itex] ?

[tex]1/(y^2-1)=1/[(y+1)(y-1)]=A/(y+1)+B/(y-1)[/tex]
You would then be required to solve for A and B.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Here's what I tried:

[itex]\frac{1}{y^2-1} = \frac{1}{(y+1)(y-1)} = \frac {A}{(y+1)} + \frac{B}{(y-1)}[/itex]

[itex]1 = A(y-1) + B(y+1)[/itex]

[itex]y = 1: 1 = 0 + B(2) \iff B = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

[itex]y = -1: 1 = A(-2) + 0 \iff A = -\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \frac{1}{y^2-1} = \frac {-\frac{1}{2}}{(y+1)} + \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{(y-1)} → \int (\frac {-\frac{1}{2}}{(y+1)} + \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{(y-1)})dy = \int (\frac {-\frac{1}{2}}{(x+1)} + \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{(x-1)})dx[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{1}{2}ln|y+1| + \frac{1}{2}ln|y-1| = -\frac{1}{2}ln|x+1| + \frac{1}{2}ln|x-1| + C_1[/itex] , x > 1, y > 1

[itex]ln(y+1)^{-\frac{1}{2}} + ln(y-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = ln(x+1)^{-\frac{1}{2}} + ln(x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} + C_1[/itex], raise by e

[itex](y+1)^{-\frac{1}{2}} + (y-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = (x+1)^{-\frac{1}{2}} + (x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}+ C_2, C_2 = e^{C_1}[/itex]

But I don't see how I can solve for y. Any hints?

Are you required to solve for y?

Most of the time, it is enough to give the final equation in implicit form. To find the constant, you plug in the initial conditions: ie, y(2) = 2 means that x=2 and y=2. If the initial conditions were y(5) = 3, then it would be y=3 and x=5.

A minor nitpick but there's an algebra mistake in the last part:

n00by said:
[itex]ln(y+1)^{-\frac{1}{2}} + ln(y-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = ln(x+1)^{-\frac{1}{2}} + ln(x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} + C_1[/itex], raise by e

[itex](y+1)^{-\frac{1}{2}} + (y-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = (x+1)^{-\frac{1}{2}} + (x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}+ C_2, C_2 = e^{C_1}[/itex]

Hint: [itex]ln(A) + ln(B) = ln(AB)[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
Are you required to solve for y?

I'm supposed to "solve" the differential equation. Does that not require solving for y?

doesn't y = x + c satisfy this ODE?

y(2) = 2

2 = 2 + c

c = 0

so checking y = x via differentiation:

dy/dx = 1

then substitution:

dy/dx = (y^2 -1) / (x^2 - 1) = (x^2 - 1) / (x^2 - 1) = 1

sorry if I'm a little off base or this doesn't help much, I'm just used to solving PDEs and when you get them to ODEs just using some ansatz math.

1. What is a simple ODE?

A simple ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives. It involves only one independent variable and is typically used to model physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What types of problems can be solved using simple ODEs?

Simple ODEs can be used to solve a wide range of problems in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are particularly useful in modeling systems that involve continuous change over time.

3. How are simple ODEs solved?

There are various methods for solving simple ODEs, including analytical, numerical, and graphical methods. Analytical solutions involve finding an explicit formula for the unknown function, while numerical solutions involve using algorithms to approximate the solution. Graphical solutions involve plotting the solution on a graph.

4. What are the applications of simple ODEs?

Simple ODEs have a wide range of applications, including modeling population growth, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They are also used in control systems, image processing, and data analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using simple ODEs?

While simple ODEs are powerful tools for modeling and solving problems, they do have some limitations. They may not accurately represent complex systems with nonlinear behavior, and their solutions may not be valid for all values of the independent variable. In such cases, more advanced mathematical tools may be needed.