1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rear view mirror and field of view

1. Dec 30, 2009 #1
    A bus driver looks into a plane mirror 20 cm long which is placed 50 cm in front of him. If the rear window is 500 cm from the plane mirror, through what length of the rear window can he see whenever he looks into the mirror while driving?

I have thought about this question but am really stucked. I don't know where to begin the question or how to..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Light

Draw a (scaled) diagram, it's all about what range of angles can hit the mirror - just a question of similair triangles

4. Jan 2, 2010 #3

is there no other way such as calculating it?

5. Jan 2, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can calculate it once you understand the layout - thats where the diagram helps

6. Jan 2, 2010 #5

In short, i have to draw the diagram..

7. Jan 2, 2010 #6

Hello Punch,

While it may be possible to for some of us to visualise this problem mentally, you have said that you are finding it very difficult.

Even a rough drawing should help you to understand it better, and a more accurate scaled drawing would also let you make an approximate check on your calculation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook