I have no idea where to start with this plane mirror question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rear window and rear-view mirror in a car. The question is about finding the minimum height and width of the mirror so that the driver can see the entire window without moving their head. The solution involves using similar triangles and the distance from the mirror to the driver's eye. A drawing is recommended to better understand the problem.
thundercats

Homework Statement

does anyone know how to do this plane mirror question?
The rear window in a car is approximately a rectangle, 1.29 m wide and 0.330 m high. The inside rear-view mirror is 0.480 m from the driver's eyes, and 1.27 m from the rear window. What is the minimum height of the rear-view mirror if the driver is to be able to see the entire height of the rear window in the mirror without moving her head?

Calculate the minimum width of the rear-view mirror if the driver is to be able to see the entire width of the rear window in the mirror without moving her head.

Homework Equations

i don't know of one

The Attempt at a Solution

i haven't been able to get the right answer no matter what i do

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to make a drawing.

If you draw the light rays, top and bottom of back window to the focus of the eye, they are straight lines, you should note that you have similar triangles and hence the distance of the mirror to the eye will determine how big the mirror must be to be able to have the whole window seen.

thnx

1. What is the purpose of a plane mirror?

A plane mirror is used to reflect light and create an image. It is commonly used in everyday objects such as mirrors, glasses, and other reflective surfaces.

2. How does a plane mirror work?

A plane mirror works by reflecting light at the same angle that it hits the mirror. This creates an image that appears to be behind the mirror, which is called a virtual image. The size and orientation of the image will be the same as the object in front of the mirror.

3. What is the difference between a plane mirror and a curved mirror?

A plane mirror is a flat, smooth surface that reflects light in a predictable manner. A curved mirror, on the other hand, has a curved surface that can either converge or diverge light, depending on its shape. This results in distorted or magnified images.

4. How can I calculate the position of an image in a plane mirror?

The position of an image in a plane mirror can be calculated using the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which light hits the mirror) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which light bounces off the mirror). By measuring the distance from the object to the mirror and using this law, you can determine the position of the image.

5. What are some real-life applications of plane mirrors?

Plane mirrors have many practical uses, such as in mirrors for personal grooming, cameras, telescopes, and headlights. They are also used in optical devices like periscopes, kaleidoscopes, and laser printers. In addition, plane mirrors are used in scientific experiments and simulations to study light and its properties.