1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have no idea where to start with this plane mirror question

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

does any one know how to do this plane mirror question?
    The rear window in a car is approximately a rectangle, 1.29 m wide and 0.330 m high. The inside rear-view mirror is 0.480 m from the driver's eyes, and 1.27 m from the rear window. What is the minimum height of the rear-view mirror if the driver is to be able to see the entire height of the rear window in the mirror without moving her head?

Calculate the minimum width of the rear-view mirror if the driver is to be able to see the entire width of the rear window in the mirror without moving her head.

2. Relevant equations
    i dont know of one

3. The attempt at a solution
    i havent been able to get the right answer no matter what i do

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You need to make a drawing.

If you draw the light rays, top and bottom of back window to the focus of the eye, they are straight lines, you should note that you have similar triangles and hence the distance of the mirror to the eye will determine how big the mirror must be to be able to have the whole window seen.

4. Jan 22, 2009 #3
    thnx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?