1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light - reflection in two facing mirrors

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    Hi, thanks for stopping by.I'm studying for an exam tomorrow, I would really appreciate even just a push in the right direction!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane mirror and a convex mirror are placed facing each other and 50 cm apart. A candle is placed on the principal axis 20 cm from the plane mirror, as shown in Figure 17.31. If the distance between the two images in the plane mirror is 40 cm, calculate the focal length of the convex mirror.

2. Relevant equations
    M = Hi/Ho = v/u
    1/f = 1/v + 1/u

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I should have attempted a solution, but I read it over and over and I really don't know where to start! Firstly, what does it mean by "the distance between the two images"? Does the image in the convex mirror act as a second object to the plain mirror? I don't know what I'm saying...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the image in the convex mirror can be considered as a second object in the plane mirror. Try ray tracing to see what is going on.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted