To calculate torque on a supported beam

In summary, the conversation is about asking for help with the last part of a question involving a beam and forces. The first two parts are already completed and the answers are provided. The last part involves calculating the torque L after it is applied, which will increase one of the forces by 1.5 times. To solve this, one must take moments about a certain axis and not involve the force that is neither known nor relevant in the calculation. Thanks to the help provided, the person is now able to see how to approach the problem.
gnits
Homework Statement
To calculate torque on a supported beam
Relevant Equations
equate forces and torques
Could I please ask for help with the last part of the following question?

q.JPG

I have the first two parts done, answers are:

Distance of COG from A = a(1+n)/n

and W1 = W(1+n)/3

I can't see how to go about the last part. Here's my diagram for the system prior to the torque L being added:

d.png

In this situation we have (are told) F1 = F2 = F say, and so W1 + W + nW = 2F and so as we know W1 in terms of W and n we have F = 2W(n+1)/3 and we are told that after torque L is applied then this increases by 1.5 times, so now F1 = W(n+1) and so F2 = W(n+1)/3. As F1 has increased then we know that L is counter-clockwise.

Can't see though what equation to set up to calculate the L which would lead to this value for F1.

Thanks for any help,
Mitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of all the forces acting on the beam after L is applied, which is the one that you neither know nor care about? What axis can you take moments about to avoid involving that force?

haruspex said:
Of all the forces acting on the beam after L is applied, which is the one that you neither know nor care about? What axis can you take moments about to avoid involving that force?

Thanks very much. That helped me to see it. Moments about Q.

Mitch.

Related to To calculate torque on a supported beam

1. How do I calculate the torque on a supported beam?

To calculate the torque on a supported beam, you will need to know the weight of the beam, the distance from the support to where the force is being applied, and the angle of the force. You can then use the formula torque = force x distance x sin(angle) to calculate the torque.

2. What is torque and why is it important to calculate?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force on an object. It is important to calculate because it helps us understand the stability and strength of structures, such as beams, and allows us to determine the maximum load they can withstand.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate torque for any type of beam?

Yes, the formula torque = force x distance x sin(angle) can be used to calculate torque for any type of beam, as long as you have the necessary information about the weight, distance, and angle of the force being applied.

4. How does the angle of the force affect the torque on a supported beam?

The angle of the force has a significant impact on the torque on a supported beam. The greater the angle, the greater the torque will be. This is because the force is being applied at a greater distance from the support, creating a longer lever arm and increasing the torque.

5. Are there any safety considerations when calculating torque on a supported beam?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the torque on a supported beam does not exceed its maximum load capacity. Excessive torque can cause the beam to fail, leading to potential safety hazards. It is also important to consider the distribution of weight and forces on the beam to ensure it is properly supported and balanced.