1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reason for: Temperature is proportional to atomic motio

1. May 25, 2015 #1
    Yeah... I know many of you people might be laughing but still I don't understand how can we simply reach the conclusion that increasing temperature increases the atomic motion.
    Consider this :
    When we push something, it moves (don't over think about this one) when we apply torque on something, it rotates, though it's generally accepted but still its absurd to me that increasing temperature increases the atomic motion.
    One may say that:
    " By conservation of energy, we can say that the energy supplied by the increase in temperature equals to the kinetic energy of the particles "
    But this doesn't just satisfy me. Does anyone else has another explanation?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2015 #2
    Which part of this explanation bothers you ?

4. May 25, 2015 #3
    I have an explanation but you have to start with matter consisting of three little particles connected by springs and then think of temperature in a purely analogous manner of how fast those particles bounce on the springs.

5. May 25, 2015 #4

Philip Wood

Gold Member

There's nothing laughable about your question. One's understanding of temperature advances in stages as one studies Physics. Are you comfortable with (i) the experimental fact that (for a fixed mass of gas in a container of constant volume) the gas pressure increases with temperature (as read by an ordinary thermometer) (ii) the kinetic theory, including the idea that gas pressure is caused by the impact of gas molecules with the container wall? If so, it's difficult to avoid the inference that an increased temperature is correlated with increased speed (and therefore increased mean kinetic energy) of the gas molecules. Note that I don't say that the rise in temperature causes the gas molecules to have increased mean KE, just that there is a corrrelation.

Has this helped?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook