1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recognizing linear ordinary differential equations

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is the following equation a linear ODE?
    [itex]\frac{d^{2}R}{dt^{2}}=-\frac{k}{R^{2}}[/itex] where k is a constant

2. Relevant equations
    A linear ordinary differential equation can be written in the following form:
    [itex]a_{n}\left ( x \right )\frac{{d}^{n}y}{{d}x^{n}}+a_{n-1}\left ( x \right )\frac{{d}^{n-1}y}{{d}x^{n-1}}+...+a_{1}\left ( x \right )\frac{{d}y}{{d}x}+a_{0}\left ( x \right )y=g\left ( x \right )[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, the correct answer in the textbook is: not a linear ODE. But there is something I don't really understand. If we multiply both sides by [itex]R^{2}[/itex] then we have:
    [itex]R^{2}\frac{d^{2}R}{dt^{2}}=-k[/itex]

The right hand side is of the form [itex]g\left ( x \right )=-k[/itex], so this is good. Also, the [itex]\frac{{d}^{2}R}{{d}t^{2}}[/itex] term is power of 1, which is also good. The problem relies in the [itex]a_{n}\left ( x \right )[/itex] term. The coefficient in front of the derivative must at most depend on the independant variable, in this case, t.

We have [itex]R^{2}[/itex]. Well, in my opinion, we can't know whether it is linear or not because we don't know how R is explicitely defined. R could be a function of t in the following form: [itex]R=F\left ( t \right )[/itex]. If this is the case, then [itex]R^{2}[/itex] could be substitued by [itex]\left (F\left ( t \right ) \right )^{2}[/itex]. Then we would clearly see that [itex]R^{2}[/itex] depend only on the variable t and we could conclude that the given equation is linear.

Given my arguments, I don't understand why we can already tell that the equation is non-linear. Thank you very much!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, even if [itex]R=F(t)[/itex], that would not make it linear. The problem is that F is an unknown function. That is: we don't know (a priori) the exact form of F.

The idea is that [itex]\alpha_i[/itex] are known functions that depend on t. But R is not a known function. Thus it is a non-linear equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook