1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Recommendation needed for integral calculus books

1. Jul 30, 2017 #1
    I have learnt an adequate amount of calculus including implicit, parametric differentiation as well as Upton second order differential equations in high school math course. It was really abstract and we were taught only how to solve mathematical problems. Now, I need to model those problems in physics using integral calculus, which is a bit confusing since our high school physics wasnt math centered and non math students were taking it too, so they had to keep it that way. I just need a good resource that can supplement my existing knowledge and helps me model situations using calculus and fill in the holes.

Kindly recommend some good books۔

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2017 #2
    You need physics book or math book ? The title says integral calculus book but the tag is Classical mechanics.

4. Jul 31, 2017 #3
    Any book related to the situation described above

5. Jul 31, 2017 #4
    Get a college level, calculus based general intro physics book. This seems like a reasonable place to start. I suggest Resnick and Halliday.

6. Jul 31, 2017 #5
    Calculus made easy - Silvanus P Thomson
    Introduction to mechanics - Kleppner and Kolenkow
    Differential Equations - Shepley L Ross
    Calculus Volume 1 - Tom M Apostol

You won't ever be in trouble with calculus again after reading these books.

7. Aug 1, 2017 #6
    How is Thomas' Calculus ?

8. Aug 1, 2017 #7
    And How is Universigty Physics by Young and Freedman?

9. Aug 1, 2017 #8
    I really do not know about Young and Freedman; I am not familiar with this text.

10. Aug 1, 2017 #9
    I think it is also a good book but I have never read it.

11. Aug 2, 2017 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I've looked at a few sections briefly, and I thought it was good. In grad school, my advisor was teaching intro physics using this book, and he thought it was good book.

12. Aug 8, 2017 #11

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the problem with thomas's calculus is that it is not just one book, it went through many editions, each getting progressively worse than the earlier ones, until now it is a rather bad book, with many authors, thomas himself being dead. The original ones by him are quite good, and quite cheap, e.g. the one from 1953:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19737588122&searchurl=yrh=1965&yrl=150&bi=0&ds=20&bx=off&sortby=17&tn=calculus&kn=george+b+thomas&an=george+thomas&recentlyadded=all

13. Aug 8, 2017 #12
    The suggestion by Mathwonk is excellent. The older edition of Thomas, preferably the third edition, offers a clear and concise coverage of Calculus. It offers great intuition and ties the subject together.

If you have money to spare. I would recommend a second book, Moise: Calculus. It is a balance of applied and theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted