Recomposing trig and hyp functions

In summary, the conversation discusses recomposing expressions involving arcsin and arsinh, and provides explanations and equations for solving different types of problems. The use of complex numbers is also mentioned as a possible solution for mixed type problems.
Marin
Hi!

I want to recompose the expression of the form:

arcsin(cosx) , arsinh(coshx), arcsin(coshx), arsinh(cosx)

but I can't figure out how this is supposed to work :( I expect square root expressions for the first two and I'm not sure one can recompose the last two without using complex numbers.

Could someone please help me in a way? Thanks in advance :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Firstly understand that problems of the form arcsin(cos(x)) are quite different to problems of the form cos(arcsin(x)).

For the first type simply use the "complement" relation that cos(x) = sin(Pi/2-x) to write,

[tex]\sin^{-1}(\cos(x)) = \sin^{-1}(\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)) = \frac{\pi}{2}-x[/tex]

{or 90-x if you prefer to use degrees}.Since you "were expecting square root type expressions" I assume you where actually thinking about the opposite type of problem such as cos(arcsin(x)).

Here you need to use the relation that [itex]\cos(x) = \sqrt{1-(\sin x)^2}[/itex]

Making this substitution you get,

[tex]\cos(\sin^{-1}(x)) = \sqrt{1-(\sin (\sin^{-1} x))^2}[/tex]
[tex] = \sqrt(1-x^2)[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, uart!

And what about the hyperbolic functions? There is no Pythagoras for hyperb. functions, is there?

And the mixed type in the field of the real numbers is quite unclear to me :(

For hyp-trig functions the equivalent of the pythagorean relation is

[tex]\cosh^2(x) - \sinh^2(x) = 1[/tex]Yeah for the mixed ones I thinked I'd have to go complex and use cosh(x) = cos(i x) and sinh(x) = -i sin(i x). Maybe someone else can offer a better solution there.

Last edited:
So it's:

[tex]\cosh(\arsinhx)=\sqrt{1+\sinh(\arsinhx)}=\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex]

() is suppose to have \arsinhx inside - what's wrong with the Latex typing it?

And what do we do when we have: arsinh(coshx) hmmmm?

1. What does it mean to recompose trig and hyp functions?

Recomposing trig and hyp functions involves breaking down complex trigonometric or hyperbolic functions into simpler functions and then combining them to form the original function. This process is commonly used in mathematics and physics to solve more complicated problems.

2. Why do we need to recompose trig and hyp functions?

Recomposing trig and hyp functions allows us to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with. It also helps us find solutions to problems that may be difficult to solve using traditional methods.

3. How do you recompose trig and hyp functions?

To recompose trig and hyp functions, you need to have a good understanding of the basic trigonometric and hyperbolic functions and their properties. You can then use algebraic techniques to break down the complex function into simpler terms and then combine them to form the original function.

4. What are some common examples of recomposing trig and hyp functions?

One common example of recomposing trig and hyp functions is converting a trigonometric function into an exponential function using Euler's formula. Another example is using trigonometric identities to simplify a complex trigonometric expression.

5. What are the benefits of recomposing trig and hyp functions?

Recomposing trig and hyp functions can help us solve problems more efficiently and accurately. It can also help us gain a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts and properties of trigonometric and hyperbolic functions.