1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Inverse trig functions and pythagorean identity

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    Hi. I'm having trouble trying to understand the relationship between inverse trig functions, especially arcsin x, and pythagorean identity. I know that because cosx=sqrt(1-(sinx)^2), derivative of arcsin x is 1/(cos(arcsin x)) = 1/(sqrt(1-(sinx)^2)arcsinx)) = 1/(sqrt(1-x^2). But how does pythagorean identity relate with antiderivative of arcsin, which is x arcsin x + sqrt(1-x^2) + C?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see that the pythagorean identity enters into it at all. To find the antiderivative of arcsin(x), use integration by parts, with u = arcsin(x) and dv = dx. If you don't understand how this works, let me know and I'll fill in the details.

4. Apr 21, 2010 #3
    Mark44: Actually, I would be thankful if you can explain how the antiderivative of arcsin (x) works, because I have trouble understanding the concept. Thanks.

5. Apr 21, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Let u = arcsin(x) and dv = dx
    So du = dx/sqrt(1 - x^2), v = x
    [tex]\int arcsin(x) dx = x*arcsin(x) - \int \frac{x dx}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}[/tex]

For the integral on the right, let w = 1 - x^2, so dw = -2xdx

[tex]= x*arcsin(x) - (-1/2)\int u^{-1/2}du = x*arcsin(x) + u^{1/2} + C[/tex]
    [tex]= x*arcsin(x) + \sqrt{1 - x^2} + C[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook