Rectangle optimization - possible text error

In summary: The problem is that the last equation is missing the constant.In summary, the error was in the equation for the area of a rectangle, which was incorrectly written as a square. After noticing the mistake, the student attempted to correct it, but was not able to do so before submitting the problem for review.
quicksilver123
Hi,
I may have discovered a textbook error but I'm no calc whiz. I need an assist to find out if the question unintentionally described a square instead of a rectangle.
I have attached the textbooks solution as well as my attempt at a solution.
The numbers check out, I just want to make sure before I submit a request for review to the author (my prof). Of course there's always the potential that he's just trying to be a tricky guy.
IMG_2067.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
quicksilver123 said:
Hi,
I may have discovered a textbook error but I'm no calc whiz. I need an assist to find out if the question unintentionally described a square instead of a rectangle.
I have attached the textbooks solution as well as my attempt at a solution.
The numbers check out, I just want to make sure before I submit a request for review to the author (my prof). Of course there's always the potential that he's just trying to be a tricky guy.View attachment 207796

The book's equation
$$ P(x) = x + \frac{440}{x}$$
should be
$$ P(x) = 2x + \frac{440}{x}$$

A square IS a rectangle; a rectangle with all sides of equal length.

Likes scottdave and quicksilver123
Anyone confirm that the answer I got is correct?

Yes there was a typo in the middle (x should have been 2x), but they apparently carried it through to get the correct answer. One thing to notice about this problem @quicksilver123 is that if you have a rectangle, and you want to maximize area for a given perimeter, the result will be a square. Or if you want to minimize perimeter for a given area, it essentially the same problem, and the result is a square.

quicksilver123 said:
Anyone confirm that the answer I got is correct?
Yes Length = Width = sqrt(220) cm. Always remember the units.

scottdave said:
there was a typo in the middle (x should have been 2x)
I don't think it was a typo. There is a band of erasure running near-vertically through several lines of text. It wipes out the portions in bold below:

for area is A=xy
We know that xy
P(x) = 2 x
P''(x) =

1. What is rectangle optimization and why is it important?

Rectangle optimization is the process of finding the optimal dimensions for a rectangle based on specific constraints or goals. It is important because many real-world problems involve rectangles, and finding the most efficient or effective solution can save time, money, or resources.

2. How is rectangle optimization different from other optimization problems?

Rectangle optimization is unique because it involves finding the optimal dimensions for a shape with fixed sides. This is different from other problems where the dimensions or variables can be changed to achieve the optimal solution.

3. What are some common constraints in rectangle optimization?

Common constraints in rectangle optimization include fixed perimeter or area, minimum or maximum side lengths, and specific proportions or ratios between the sides.

4. What are some applications of rectangle optimization?

Rectangle optimization has many practical applications, such as in architecture for designing efficient floor plans, in manufacturing for maximizing material usage, and in computer graphics for creating realistic 2D and 3D images.

5. Can rectangle optimization be applied to non-rectangular shapes?

While the term "rectangle optimization" specifically refers to optimizing rectangles, the principles and methods can be applied to other shapes with fixed sides, such as squares or triangles. However, the specific techniques may differ for each shape.