1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Simple' Optimization Problem

1. Feb 14, 2012 #1
    Just reviewing for a chapter test... I've always found optimization problems easy, but I don't have answers for these review questions so I thought I'd check my work on here.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A piece of cardboard is 14 inches by 10 inches and you are going to cut out the corners and fold up the sides to form an open box. Determine the height of the box that will give a maximum volume.

2. Relevant equations

V = lwh

3. The attempt at a solution

Using
    (10-2x) as l
    (14-2x) as w
    and x as the height:

V = (10-2x)(14-2x)x = 4x^3 - 48^2 +140x

dv/dx = 12x^2 - 96x + 140

0 = 12x^2 - 96x +140

x = 6.08, 1.92 or 1/3(12±√39)

.... this is where I get lost. I feel like I messed it up somewhere because I get weird numbers for x. Technically, the 6.08 number is impossible, so x would have to equal 1.92. But still, I feel uncomfortable with these numbers.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2012 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What makes you uncomfortable about the answer you got?

Would it make you more comfortable to compare the volume if the height were slightly above or below the height you calculated to the volume you got?

4. Feb 14, 2012 #3
    haha, yes, actually. It helped quite a bit. I think I'm just too tired from too many late nights of studying... thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook