1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who wants to help me maximize the area of a kite? (Optimization)

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    I just can't figure this problem out.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have four pieces of wood, two with length a and two with length b, and you arrange them in the shape of a kite (pieces of equal length placed adjacent to each other). You want to build a cross in the middle as a support. How long should the middle pieces be to maximize the area of the kite?

Sorry, there was a picture in the textbook, but it should be pretty straight forward.

2. Relevant equations

It's optimization.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't figure out how to relate the variables to each other. I know that you can cut the kite in half symmetrically, and rearrange the kite into a rectangle with length y and width x. That was what I tried to do, but I still couldn't figure it out. I ended up with a whole bunch of square roots and I couldn't isolate the variable.

I tried arranging the pieces in different triangles, but I ended up with too many variables.

Any hints would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure you have posted the information of this problem exactly as given? For one thing, you don't make a kite by building a frame around it. And besides, after you have used your four pieces of wood, what are you supposed to use to build the cross pieces?

For another thing, if a != b, your kite is in the shape of a rhombus; the angle formed by a short piece and a long piece is not 90 degrees. You can't cut the kite in half and form a rectangle. Instead, what you get is a parallelogram.

4. Aug 11, 2009 #3
    sorry, i meant cut the kite into four. then you can rearrange it into a rectangle.

i was looking at the problem in the textbook and i noticed a little symbol beside the number. it said "CAS". and so i searched the textbook for what "CAS" meant and it turns out it stands for "computer algebra system". in other words, my instructor assigned us a problem that she shouldn't have, because we don't learn how to use computer algebra systems in this course. thanks anyway.

5. Aug 11, 2009 #4

Mark44

No you can't, not of the values of a and b are different. For a rectangle, sides a and b have to meet at a 90 degree angle. This can't happen if a and b are different.

6. Aug 11, 2009 #5
    kitetorectangle.png

7. Aug 11, 2009 #6

Mark44

I stand corrected.

8. Aug 11, 2009 #7
    hehe

either way, the problem is too hard for the level i'm at. need a computer.

9. Aug 11, 2009 #8
    [tex]P = \frac{1}{2}d_1 d_2 = ab \sin(\angle ab)[/tex]

If we represent is as function f(x)=absin(x), then to maximize the area f'(x)=0 and f''(x)>0.

So f'(x)=abcos(x) .

abcos(x)=0

cos(x)=0

And x=п/2.

f''(x)=absin(x)

f''(п/2)=ab>0 and for x=п/2 the area is maximized.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook