Who wants to help me maximize the area of a kite? (Optimization)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving arranging four pieces of wood in a kite shape and determining the length of the middle pieces to maximize the area. The participants struggle with relating the variables and using a computer algebra system, but ultimately come to the conclusion that the area is maximized when the angle formed by the pieces is 90 degrees.
nietzsche
I just can't figure this problem out.

Homework Statement

You have four pieces of wood, two with length a and two with length b, and you arrange them in the shape of a kite (pieces of equal length placed adjacent to each other). You want to build a cross in the middle as a support. How long should the middle pieces be to maximize the area of the kite?

Sorry, there was a picture in the textbook, but it should be pretty straight forward.

Homework Equations

It's optimization.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to relate the variables to each other. I know that you can cut the kite in half symmetrically, and rearrange the kite into a rectangle with length y and width x. That was what I tried to do, but I still couldn't figure it out. I ended up with a whole bunch of square roots and I couldn't isolate the variable.

I tried arranging the pieces in different triangles, but I ended up with too many variables.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have posted the information of this problem exactly as given? For one thing, you don't make a kite by building a frame around it. And besides, after you have used your four pieces of wood, what are you supposed to use to build the cross pieces?

For another thing, if a != b, your kite is in the shape of a rhombus; the angle formed by a short piece and a long piece is not 90 degrees. You can't cut the kite in half and form a rectangle. Instead, what you get is a parallelogram.

sorry, i meant cut the kite into four. then you can rearrange it into a rectangle.

i was looking at the problem in the textbook and i noticed a little symbol beside the number. it said "CAS". and so i searched the textbook for what "CAS" meant and it turns out it stands for "computer algebra system". in other words, my instructor assigned us a problem that she shouldn't have, because we don't learn how to use computer algebra systems in this course. thanks anyway.

nietzsche said:
sorry, i meant cut the kite into four. then you can rearrange it into a rectangle.
No you can't, not of the values of a and b are different. For a rectangle, sides a and b have to meet at a 90 degree angle. This can't happen if a and b are different.
nietzsche said:
i was looking at the problem in the textbook and i noticed a little symbol beside the number. it said "CAS". and so i searched the textbook for what "CAS" meant and it turns out it stands for "computer algebra system". in other words, my instructor assigned us a problem that she shouldn't have, because we don't learn how to use computer algebra systems in this course. thanks anyway.

Mark44 said:
No you can't, not of the values of a and b are different. For a rectangle, sides a and b have to meet at a 90 degree angle. This can't happen if a and b are different.

kitetorectangle.png

hehe

either way, the problem is too hard for the level I'm at. need a computer.

[tex]P = \frac{1}{2}d_1 d_2 = ab \sin(\angle ab)[/tex]

If we represent is as function f(x)=absin(x), then to maximize the area f'(x)=0 and f''(x)>0.

So f'(x)=abcos(x) .

abcos(x)=0

cos(x)=0

And x=п/2.

f''(x)=absin(x)

f''(п/2)=ab>0 and for x=п/2 the area is maximized.

1. How do I find the maximum area of a kite?

To find the maximum area of a kite, you will need to use the formula A = (1/2)bh, where A is the area, b is the length of the base, and h is the height. You will also need to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the other two sides of the kite. Once you have all the necessary measurements, you can plug them into the formula and calculate the maximum area.

2. What is the role of optimization in finding the maximum area of a kite?

Optimization is the process of finding the best solution to a problem. In the case of maximizing the area of a kite, optimization involves finding the optimal measurements for the base and height of the kite that will result in the largest possible area. This can be done through trial and error or by using mathematical techniques such as calculus.

3. How can I use calculus to optimize the area of a kite?

Calculus can be used to optimize the area of a kite by finding the derivative of the area formula with respect to the variable you want to optimize (either the base or height). Setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the variable will give you the optimal value for that variable, which can then be used to find the maximum area of the kite.

4. Are there any real-world applications for optimizing the area of a kite?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for optimizing the area of a kite. For example, in the design of kites for recreational or scientific purposes, maximizing the area can help improve the kite's lift and stability. Additionally, optimizing the area of a kite can also be useful in the design of sails for boats or wind turbines.

5. What factors can affect the maximum area of a kite?

The maximum area of a kite can be affected by several factors, such as the length of the base and height, the type of material used for the kite, and external factors such as wind speed and direction. Additionally, the shape of the kite can also impact the maximum area, as some shapes may be more efficient in capturing wind and increasing the area.