Rectangular to sphere coordinates

In summary, the problem asks you to pass an integral with csc, cot, and other similar operators to spherical coordinates, but you don't really know how to do it. The solution is given, but you need help to understand it.
EliasS

Homework Statement

Hello,
the problem ask you to pass this integral
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}\int_{x^2+y^2}^{4} x {dz}{dy}{dx}[/tex]
to sphere coordinates, but I don't really know how

Homework Equations

Well, I know the basics formulas,

x=rho*sin(phi)*cos(theta)
y=rho*sin(phi)*sin(theta)
z=rho*cos(theta)

rho^2=x^2+y^2+z^2
tan theta=x/y

and all the average problems I know how to do them, but this one I can't see it

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution of the book is this, but I don't know how to get there, any clues?

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2{\pi}}\int_{0}^{arctan(1/2)}\int_{0}^{4sec\phi} \rho^3 sin^2\phi cos\vartheta {d\rho}{d\phi}{d\vartheta}[/tex]+[tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2{\pi}}\int_{arctan(1/2)}^{\pi/2}\int_{0}^{cot\phi csc\phi} \rho^3sin^2\phi cos\phi{d\rho}{d\phi}{d\vartheta}[/tex]

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the trickier things for iterated integrals is understanding what the region over which integration takes place looks like. Do you have a good sense of what the region in your problem looks like?

Hello, I think it's an elliptic paraboloid
like this
attachment.php?attachmentid=20401&stc=1&d=1252102176.jpg

but from that to the sum of integrals with csc, cot etc it's where I get really confused

any hint will be great, thank you

Attachments

• paraboloid.jpg
    paraboloid.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 418
[tex]\displaystyle\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}\int_{x^2+y^2}^{4} x {dz}{dy}{dx}[/tex]
Okay, x must vary from -2 to 2 so draw vertical lines on an xy- graph at x= -2, x= 2. Then, for each x, y goes from [itex]y= -\sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex] to [itex]y= \sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex], two semi-circles. That gives the circle [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex]. Finally, for each (x,y), z goes from [itex]z= x^2+ y^2[/itex] to 4. Yes, that is the region inside the paraboloid you show up to z= 4.4

Are you really asked to convert to spherical coordinates? Cylindrical coordinates would be most reasonable. In polar coordinates, the circle is just r varying from 0 to 2, [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. The integral in cylindrical coordinates would be
[tex]\int_{r= 0}^2\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{z= 0}^4 r^2 cos(\theta)d\theta dr dz[/tex]

To change to spherical coordinates, note that the points most distant from the origin are on the circle where [itex]z= x^2+ y^2[/itex] intersects z= 4 and there distance is [itex]\sqrt{2^2+ 4^2}= 2\sqrt{4}[/itex]. [itex]\rho[/itex] will vary from 0 to [itex]2\sqrt{5}[/itex]. Of course, because of the circular symmetry, [itex]\theta[/itex] varies from 0 to [itex]\2\pi[/itex]. [itex]\phi[/itex] is the hard one.

Imagine a line from (0,0,0) to [itex](\rho, 0, \rho^2)[/itex] (because of the symmetry, it enough to look at y= 0). That has slope [itex]\rho^2/\rho= \rho[/itex]. Since \phi is the complement of the angle from the x-axis, [itex]\phi= cot^{-1}(\rho)[/itex]. [itex]\phi[/itex] varies from 0 to [itex]cot^{-1}(\rho)[/itex].

Thank you HallsofIvy and Mark44, now understand everything except how to get [tex]cot\phi csc\phi[/tex] in [tex]
\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2{\pi}}\int_{arctan(1/2)}^{\pi/2}\int_{0}^{cot\phi csc\phi} \rho^3sin^2\phi cos\phi{d\rho}{d\phi}{d\vartheta}
[/tex]

this integral, say in the zy plane, is something like

attachment.php?attachmentid=20432&stc=1&d=1252240003.jpg

what I don't understand is how z=x^2+y^2 becomes [tex]cot\phi csc\phi[/tex] in sphere coordinates

please this is the last thing :smile:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 369

1. What are rectangular coordinates?

Rectangular coordinates, also known as Cartesian coordinates, are a system of representing points in space using three perpendicular axes (x, y, and z) intersecting at a common point called the origin. These coordinates are commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What are sphere coordinates?

Sphere coordinates, also known as spherical coordinates, are a system of representing points in three-dimensional space using two angles and a distance from a fixed point. The two angles, typically denoted as theta (θ) and phi (φ), specify the direction of the point from the origin, while the distance specifies the radius of the sphere.

3. How do you convert from rectangular to sphere coordinates?

To convert from rectangular to sphere coordinates, you can use the following formulas:

θ = arccos(z/r)

φ = arctan(y/x)

r = √(x² + y² + z²)

where x, y, and z are the rectangular coordinates, θ and φ are the angles in spherical coordinates, and r is the distance from the origin.

4. What is the purpose of using rectangular to sphere coordinates?

Rectangular to sphere coordinates are often used in physics and engineering to represent points in three-dimensional space, particularly in situations where spherical symmetry is present. They can also be useful in solving problems involving spherical objects, such as planets or stars, or in visualizing three-dimensional data.

5. Can you use other coordinate systems besides rectangular and sphere coordinates?

Yes, there are many other coordinate systems that can be used to represent points in three-dimensional space. Some examples include cylindrical coordinates, polar coordinates, and ellipsoidal coordinates. The choice of coordinate system depends on the specific problem and the most convenient way to represent the data.