1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectangular to sphere coordinates

1. Sep 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello,
    the problem ask you to pass this integral
    [tex]\displaystyle\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}\int_{x^2+y^2}^{4} x {dz}{dy}{dx}[/tex]
    to sphere coordinates, but I don't really know how

2. Relevant equations

Well, I know the basics formulas,

x=rho*sin(phi)*cos(theta)
    y=rho*sin(phi)*sin(theta)
    z=rho*cos(theta)

rho^2=x^2+y^2+z^2
    tan theta=x/y

and all the average problems I know how to do them, but this one I can't see it

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution of the book is this, but I don't know how to get there, any clues???

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2{\pi}}\int_{0}^{arctan(1/2)}\int_{0}^{4sec\phi} \rho^3 sin^2\phi cos\vartheta {d\rho}{d\phi}{d\vartheta}[/tex]+[tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2{\pi}}\int_{arctan(1/2)}^{\pi/2}\int_{0}^{cot\phi csc\phi} \rho^3sin^2\phi cos\phi{d\rho}{d\phi}{d\vartheta}[/tex]

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

One of the trickier things for iterated integrals is understanding what the region over which integration takes place looks like. Do you have a good sense of what the region in your problem looks like?

4. Sep 4, 2009 #3
    Hello, I think it's an elliptic paraboloid
    like this
    attachment.php?attachmentid=20401&stc=1&d=1252102176.jpg

but from that to the sum of integrals with csc, cot etc it's where I get really confused

any hint will be great, thank you

Attached Files:

5. Sep 5, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}\int_{x^2+y^2}^{4} x {dz}{dy}{dx}[/tex]
    Okay, x must vary from -2 to 2 so draw vertical lines on an xy- graph at x= -2, x= 2. Then, for each x, y goes from [itex]y= -\sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex] to [itex]y= \sqrt{4- x^2}[/itex], two semi-circles. That gives the circle [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex]. Finally, for each (x,y), z goes from [itex]z= x^2+ y^2[/itex] to 4. Yes, that is the region inside the paraboloid you show up to z= 4.4

Are you really asked to convert to spherical coordinates? Cylindrical coordinates would be most reasonable. In polar coordinates, the circle is just r varying from 0 to 2, [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. The integral in cylindrical coordinates would be
    [tex]\int_{r= 0}^2\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{z= 0}^4 r^2 cos(\theta)d\theta dr dz[/tex]

To change to spherical coordinates, note that the points most distant from the origin are on the circle where [itex]z= x^2+ y^2[/itex] intersects z= 4 and there distance is [itex]\sqrt{2^2+ 4^2}= 2\sqrt{4}[/itex]. [itex]\rho[/itex] will vary from 0 to [itex]2\sqrt{5}[/itex]. Of course, because of the circular symmetry, [itex]\theta[/itex] varies from 0 to [itex]\2\pi[/itex]. [itex]\phi[/itex] is the hard one.

Imagine a line from (0,0,0) to [itex](\rho, 0, \rho^2)[/itex] (because of the symmetry, it enough to look at y= 0). That has slope [itex]\rho^2/\rho= \rho[/itex]. Since \phi is the complement of the angle from the x-axis, [itex]\phi= cot^{-1}(\rho)[/itex]. [itex]\phi[/itex] varies from 0 to [itex]cot^{-1}(\rho)[/itex].

6. Sep 6, 2009 #5
    Thank you HallsofIvy and Mark44, now understand everything except how to get [tex]cot\phi csc\phi[/tex] in [tex]
    \displaystyle\int_{0}^{2{\pi}}\int_{arctan(1/2)}^{\pi/2}\int_{0}^{cot\phi csc\phi} \rho^3sin^2\phi cos\phi{d\rho}{d\phi}{d\vartheta}
    [/tex]

this integral, say in the zy plane, is something like

attachment.php?attachmentid=20432&stc=1&d=1252240003.jpg

what I dont understand is how z=x^2+y^2 becomes [tex]cot\phi csc\phi[/tex] in sphere coordinates

please this is the last thing :smile:

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      13.7 KB
      Views:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook