Rectifier Circuit, graph (output wave)

In summary, the full rectifier circuit is active only when the input voltage is 4 or greater, which may be due to the sum of the 4 diode's threshold voltages being 4. However, it is also possible that the 4 indicates 2V in the + direction and 2V in the - direction. The provided sketch of the output waveform may not accurately represent the solution and could cause confusion.
calvert11

Homework Statement

Sketch the output waveform:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3774/recgraph.jpg
(The coloured lines I added myself)

Homework Equations

Nothing which applies, I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer has already been provided. I just have a concept question.

The full rectifier circuit is active only where the input voltage is 4 or greater (marked in blue). But why 4?

Is it simply the sum of the 4 diode's threshold voltages (marked in red), that is, 1+1+1+1=4?

But only 2 diodes are active at a time (at each peak or valley of the input wave), right? So, why isn't it 1+1=2 instead?

Or am I on the wrong track entirely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
calvert11 said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the output waveform:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3774/recgraph.jpg
(The coloured lines I added myself)

Homework Equations

Nothing which applies, I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer has already been provided. I just have a concept question.

The full rectifier circuit is active only where the input voltage is 4 or greater (marked in blue). But why 4?

Is it simply the sum of the 4 diode's threshold voltages (marked in red), that is, 1+1+1+1=4?

But only 2 diodes are active at a time (at each peak or valley of the input wave), right? So, why isn't it 1+1=2 instead?

Or am I on the wrong track entirely?

I believe it should be 2V in the + direction and 2V in the - direction. Is there a chance that is where they got the 4? It still shoule be shown as +/-2V on the triangle wave, though, not +4V. Was that picture part of the solution, or an interpretation of a written answer?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a rectifier circuit?

A rectifier circuit is an electronic circuit that converts alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC).

2. How does a rectifier circuit work?

A rectifier circuit uses diodes to only allow the positive portion of the AC input signal to pass through, resulting in a DC output signal.

3. What types of rectifier circuits are there?

There are two main types of rectifier circuits: half-wave rectifier and full-wave rectifier. Half-wave rectifiers use one diode to convert AC to DC, while full-wave rectifiers use four diodes to produce a smoother DC output.

4. What is the purpose of a graph (output wave) in a rectifier circuit?

The graph, also known as the output wave, shows the DC output signal produced by the rectifier circuit. It helps to visualize the effectiveness of the rectifier circuit in converting AC to DC.

5. What are some common applications of rectifier circuits?

Rectifier circuits are commonly used in power supplies for electronic devices, battery chargers, and in various industrial and commercial applications that require DC power.