1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating current and voltage of a rectifier circuit

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is :
    "A step down transformer having turns ratio 10:1 and input 230 V,50 Hz is used in a half wave rectifier. The diode forward resistance is 15 ohms and resistance of secondary winding is 10 ohms . For a load resistance of 4 kilo ohms, calculate the average and R.M.S values of load current and voltage".

2. Relevant equations
    $$I_{R.M.S}=I_{MAX}/2$$
    $$I_{avg}=I_{MAX}/pi$$---(For a half-wave rectifier)
    $$I_{R.M.S}=V_{R.M.S}/R_{Total}$$
    $$E_{s,R.M.S}/E_{p,R.M.S}=N_2/N_1$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, using the ##4^{th}## equation :
    ##E_{s,R.M.S}/230=1/10##
    So,
    $$E_{s,R.M.S}=23 V$$
    Because of which,
    $$ I_{R.M.S}=23/(4025) A$$
    So , ##I_{R.M.S}=5.71 mA##
    But even looking at the answer at this point of time , I realised that both of these answers were wrong.
    The given value of ##E_{R.M.S}=16.1624 V## and ##I_{R.M.S}=4.0406 mA ##
    so, where am I wrong ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2015 #2
    The diode forward resistance is 15 ohms half the time and infinite resistance half the time, so the load RMS voltage is half your value.

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The first place where you went wrong is to be attempting this problem without first sketching a large, clear diagram of the waveforms under investigation. A diagram is an essential aid to electronics problems.

Also, remember that a mains voltage of 230V is a sinusoid of peak value (i.e., max) 2302 V

5. Oct 21, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Model the circuit as an ideal transformer but with the given secondary resistance. I guess primary resistance is assumed zero which is unrealistic but then so are most textbook problems.

So form a voltage divider between the transformer secondary resistance, the diode resistance and the 4K load. The compute the half-rectified output voltage and current.

Most of the equations you cite look of questionable relevance. Try to work from math principles instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted