Recursive Projectile To Explicit Formula

In summary, the person is trying to solve for the necessary velocity of a projectile orbiting a planet, given a final radius and a recursive equation. They have attempted to solve the equation but have had trouble making it explicit and finding a pattern. They are seeking help and any pointers or solutions are welcome.
TheMaster...

Homework Statement

If a projectile orbits around a planet and lands after x cycles of the equation:
radius[n+1] = radius[n] - (M* v^2 / radius[n]*G*P/radius[n]^2)
at a final radius of C. What is the necessary v?

The only variable that isn't known at the time of solving is v.

Basically I think I need to solve in terms of v but in order to do that I need to make the recursive formula into an explicit one but I can't figure out how.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing down the sequence to find a simpler pattern with no luck. Especially since even that seems to change drastically if I change the constants such as x (the number of cycles). I tried solving it as if it were a normal equation but couldn't figure out how to get rid of the radius[n+1] term to do that and tried setting it to C (the target radius) to radius[n] (so I could ignore it) and to 0 (seemed a better way of ignoring) all with no success seemingly. Setting to radius[n] led to a cubic explicit equation but that doesn't make as much sense as the quadratic equation from setting it to C since we are dealing with motion that is similar to a conic section which is where I derived the original recursive equation from. So how do I start, or how do I make it explicit so I can solve the rest of it.

This isn't a Real homework problem so much as a problem that I desperately need a solution to and couldn't find the right section.

Pointers or solutions are soooo welcome. Thanx :)

Physics news on Phys.org
TheMaster... said:

Homework Statement

If a projectile orbits around a planet and lands after x cycles of the equation:
at a final radius of C. What is the necessary v?
I am a bit confused by the fractions on the right side. Is that
[tex]r_n- \frac{Mv^2}{r_n}\frac{GP}{r_n^2}[/tex]?

Why not just
[tex]r_n- \frac{MGP v^2}{r_n^3}[/tex]?

The only variable that isn't known at the time of solving is v.

Basically I think I need to solve in terms of v but in order to do that I need to make the recursive formula into an explicit one but I can't figure out how.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried writing down the sequence to find a simpler pattern with no luck. Especially since even that seems to change drastically if I change the constants such as x (the number of cycles). I tried solving it as if it were a normal equation but couldn't figure out how to get rid of the radius[n+1] term to do that and tried setting it to C (the target radius) to radius[n] (so I could ignore it) and to 0 (seemed a better way of ignoring) all with no success seemingly. Setting to radius[n] led to a cubic explicit equation but that doesn't make as much sense as the quadratic equation from setting it to C since we are dealing with motion that is similar to a conic section which is where I derived the original recursive equation from. So how do I start, or how do I make it explicit so I can solve the rest of it.

This isn't a Real homework problem so much as a problem that I desperately need a solution to and couldn't find the right section.

Pointers or solutions are soooo welcome. Thanx :)

I'm sorry there should actually be a - inbetween the radius and G not a *. Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

[tex]r_n_+_1 = r_n- \frac{Mv^2}{r_n}-\frac{GP}{r_n^2}[/tex]

(I stole your LaTex by the way:biggrin:)

1. What is a recursive projectile?

A recursive projectile refers to a type of motion or trajectory in which an object is launched into the air and subject to the forces of gravity. As it moves, the position and velocity of the object are continuously updated based on its previous position and velocity.

2. How is a recursive projectile different from a traditional projectile?

A traditional projectile follows a parabolic path and its position and velocity are calculated at discrete time intervals. In contrast, a recursive projectile continuously updates its position and velocity as it moves along its trajectory.

3. What is an explicit formula for a recursive projectile?

An explicit formula for a recursive projectile is a mathematical expression that can be used to directly calculate the position and velocity of the object at any given time during its flight. It is typically derived from the recursive equations that describe the movement of the object.

4. How is an explicit formula for a recursive projectile calculated?

An explicit formula for a recursive projectile is usually derived by solving the recursive equations through a process called iteration. This involves repeatedly substituting the previous values of position and velocity into the equations until a general formula is obtained.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of an explicit formula for a recursive projectile?

The accuracy of an explicit formula for a recursive projectile can be affected by various factors, including air resistance, wind, and the shape and mass of the object. Additionally, any errors in the initial conditions or measurements can also impact the accuracy of the formula.