1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reduce second order diff equation into series of first order diff equations

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    Hi guys I was hoping if someone could help me with this second order differential equation which i have to reduce into a series of first order equations and then solve using a fourth order runge kutta method.

The equation is

y"-30y'-3y=-2 with the initial conditions y(1)=-12 and y'(x=1)=-2

My attempt at reducing it is

I firstly did y'=z and then did dz/dx=30z+3y-2 with the conditions being x(0)=1, y(0)=-12 and z(0)=-2

could someone please tell me if this is right and if not point me in the right direction to be able to reduce it. I think i can solve it using the runge kutta. Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2
    That is entirely correct.

You can also solve this equation analytically without too much trouble by using an ansatz y(x) = A exp(rx) to the homogeneous equation, and finding the trivial solution y=2/3 to the full equation, so you can check that your integrator gives you correct results.

4. May 3, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much for your reply!

I followed all the steps in my lecture notes to reduce it and thought it was correct but I thought I must have got it wrong when i then put it into the runge kutta as i was getting back some pretty big values.

Evaluating y(1.2) using a step size of h=0.2

I got y(n+1)= -24.212 and z(n+1)=-377.1852 and x(n+1)= 1.2

I don't think that is right...

5. May 3, 2012 #4
    The function is really steep so it might be difficult to evaluate with approximate methods. The correct values should be higher, for example z(1.2) ~*-1337

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook