Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reducing RF power of video transmitter

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I have a tiny (.6"x.6"x.125") 2.4ghz video transmitter that puts out about 1mw or rf power. I want to severely reduce the output power in order to reduce the range of this transmitter. instead of a few hundred feet line of sight range I would prefer no more than 10ft, and as little as 2 ft would work.

I am considering creating an enclosure from a conductive material such as copper, aluminum, or even graphite if that would work. Any ideas on what material would be most appropriate, the thickness required, or whether this would work at all?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lars

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2
    Trying cutting off the antenna to less than an inch in length or completely remove the antenna.

4. Jun 10, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Only need to go through a wall, eh? What's the problem with the standard power and range?

5. Jun 10, 2010 #4
    Try layers of thin aluminum foil.

Bob S

6. Jun 10, 2010 #5
    I have already cut the antenna to about 2-3mm (from the standard 1"), and it still easily transmits the 30ft or so I tested it at. I'll find out the max range later.

Would thin layers of aluminum foil work better than solid aluminum, or a material like this:

http://www.blockemf.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=747&products_id=5389 [Broken]

I want to prevent monitoring of the signal by nearby receivers operating on the same frequency. The transmitter is body worn, sending the signal only a few feet to a relaying transmitter that sends an encrypted digital signal.

Thanks for any help.

Lars

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Jun 10, 2010 #6

mheslep

Gold Member

Under ~3ft you'll start getting into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_and_far_field" [Broken] propagation at that frequency.

You might consider a standard RF attenuator. 30db should do it. Don't to stack any more as they'll simply leak. In fact your transmitter housing is probably already going to leak enough power to propagate above the noise floor at 10', so shield it carefully.
    http://www.surplussales.com/rf/RFAtten-2.html

8. Jun 11, 2010 #7
    I will look in to those attenuators.. The problem is the antenna is just alittle wire soldered on to the tiny circuit board, and there is no sma connector or otherwise to connect the antenna. Not really sure how I would get one of those attenuators connected... ideas?

9. Jun 11, 2010 #8
    Also, since I'm not familiar with attenuators, when the frequency is specified for a certai attenuator (i.e. 5mhz, or "dc-1500mc" for some) does that mean the frequency must be right around that level, or that is the max frequency, etc... My frequency is around 2.4ghz but most of those attenuators are not rated at 2.4. Are there smaller attenuators that I could solder in line with the antenna, as this video transmitter is very tiny, smaller than most of the attenuators on the page linked above.

Lars

10. Jun 11, 2010 #9

berkeman

Why don't you just use coax, or a wired video camera? What is the need for wireless?

11. Jun 11, 2010 #10
    Is this unit stand alone or on a PC board? Might it be radiating from the power supply leads or the cable to the camera? It might be radiating from the PC board itself. Would it be possible to put in one of those anti-static bags used for shipping circuit boards?

12. Jun 11, 2010 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Conductive bag around powered circuit board? Hello smoke.

13. Jun 11, 2010 #12
    Are you going to eavesdrop on other people without their consent? If so then there could be legal issues depending on where you live.

14. Jun 11, 2010 #13
    The transmitter is a tiny little .5" x .5" circuit board. So you're thinking even though the antenna is clipped the signal might still be strong because its leaking out the power, signal, or ground wire? I can put the whole thing in an antistatic bag to test that... will those block rf signals?

If that is the case is there any way I could filter that out of the affected wire?

Another option that would help solve my problem would be some kind of signal scrambling on the video signal line that can be de-scrambled on the receiver side. It wouldn't have to be a full scale video encryption system because I'm only worried about casual observers of the signal. I do have severe size constraints however, and the scrambling device would have to be a small circuit board, around 1"x 1.5" max. Any suggestions?

15. Jun 11, 2010 #14

berkeman

I agree with waht -- I'm getting uncomfortable about this thread. Please explain exactly what this video camera is for, and why you don't want others to know that you are using it.

16. Jun 11, 2010 #15
    Oh dear. This transmitter is part of a prototype body worn video surveillance kit to be worn by law enforcement or private investigators/security personnel. It will not be used by me for any nefarious purpose. I can't describe in detail the makeup or exact purpose of why I'm requesting some of these specifications because I have a financial interest in protecting a new product from copycats before it's even introduced. If it makes you uncomfortable then you aren't obliged to help me.

lars

17. Jun 11, 2010 #16

berkeman

If it's for LEO, then absolutely you need to encrypt the data that is transmitted wirelessly. You definitely don't want a bad guy able to see what an officer is seeing, if they are searching for him or he is barricaded. Just trying to limit the xmit power is not enough. You will need enough xmit power to be able to avoid multi-path nulls between the tx and rx devices, so you can't reduce the power too far.

18. Jun 14, 2010 #17
  19. Jun 14, 2010 #18

mheslep

Gold Member

Yes, but those are likely going to radiate off board enough to be detectable at ~5-10'

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  20. Jun 15, 2010 #19
    Those minicircuits attenuators look interesting. So if i ran the antenna wire in to the input, the ground pin to the transmitter ground, do I just leave the output pin alone or still put an antenna wire on it? If that limited the signal to 10 feet or so that would be OK.

Lars

21. Jun 15, 2010 #20
    ...and could I stack a few together if needed or is that inadvisable?

Thanks

Lars

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook