Reduction order does not reduce

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, EvLer found a solution to the problem by first finding a linear indep. solution for y2 and then solving for y1.
EvLer
Here is one more I am having a problem with:

[tex]4x^2y'' + 4xy' + (4x^2 - 1)y = 0, x > 0 [/tex]

one solution is
y1(x) = sin(x)* x-1/2

but when I try to work it all out with another linearly indep. solution

y2(x) = u(x) sin(x) * x-1/2

the order does not reduce and the y'' is huge... so I was wondering if I am missing some trick or is it really that painfully tedious :redface:

ps: couldn't figure out how to put x ^(-1/2) in latex

EDIT: I think I got it, but I did have to go through pages of writing out these derivatives.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EvLer said:

one solution is
y1(x) = sin(x)* x-1/2

but when I try to work it all out with another linearly indep. solution

y2(x) = u(x) sin(x) * x-1/2

the order does not reduce and the y'' is huge... so I was wondering if I am missing some trick or is it really that painfully tedious :redface:

ps: couldn't figure out how to put x ^(-1/2) in latex

EDIT: I think I got it, but I did have to go through pages of writing out these derivatives.

You mind posting the reduced-order ODE?

result

Yeah, sure. It took me only like an hour to do the algebra :biggrin: so I will not overload my post with the whole thing, although if you are interested I can post
In the end u term got canceled so here's what I ended up with:

u''(4x3/2sin(x)) + u'(8x3/2cos(x)) = 0

ln(u') = ln|sin(x)-2|;

u = -cot(x) + C;

so y2(x) = -x-1/2cos(x);

I hope this is correct, going to find out in class today :confused:

EDIT: yep, it's correct only i forgot about the coefficients: take A = -1 and C = 0

=> y2(x) = x-1/2cos(x);

Last edited:
EvLer said:

one solution is
y1(x) = sin(x)* x-1/2

Hello EvLer. Thanks for posting that. I have a question: How did you obtain the first solution? Normally, this type of problem is approached via power series, indical equation, logarithms maybe, messy expressions, the lot.

saltydog said:
How did you obtain the first solution? Normally, this type of problem is approached via power series, indical equation, logarithms maybe, messy expressions, the lot.
sorry to disappoint you, but first solution was given as a condition, i.e. the problem consisted of finding second linear indep. solution given *that* solution.

EDIT:hmmmm, may be a good question to my instructor :bugeye:

Last edited:
I haven't calculated the whole thing but, in general any term involving "u" rather than u' or u" MUST be multiplied by the correct derivate of the functions multipling u. If that function satisfied the equation, then your final equation will involve u" and u' but NOT u. You certainly should be able to reduce the order by letting v= u'.

Post your work or at least the final equation you got.

Did you try the Wronskian approach (I'm actually on this chapter myself, test tommorrow)?

Never mind it seems that you've found the solution yourself, didn't notice all of the editing.

1. Why does the reduction order not reduce in some cases?

The reduction order is a method used in mathematics and computer science to simplify complex systems by removing redundant or irrelevant components. However, there are certain cases where this method may not result in a reduced system due to the complexity or uniqueness of the system itself.

2. How do I know if a reduction order will reduce a system?

There is no definitive way to determine if a reduction order will successfully reduce a system. It depends on the specific properties and structure of the system being reduced. It is important to carefully consider the system and the reduction order being used before expecting a reduction to occur.

3. What are the potential drawbacks of using a reduction order?

One potential drawback of using a reduction order is that it may not always result in a reduced system. This can lead to unexpected or incorrect results if the assumption of reduction is made. Additionally, the process of determining a reduction order can be time-consuming and may require a deep understanding of the system being reduced.

4. Can a reduction order be applied to any type of system?

No, a reduction order may not be applicable to all types of systems. It is most commonly used in mathematical and computer science systems, but may not work for other types of systems such as biological or social systems. Additionally, the effectiveness of a reduction order may vary depending on the complexity and uniqueness of the system.

5. Are there alternative methods to reduction order for simplifying complex systems?

Yes, there are alternative methods to reduction order that can be used to simplify complex systems. Some of these include abstraction techniques, clustering algorithms, and dimensionality reduction methods. The most suitable method will depend on the specific system and the goals of the reduction process.