Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reference for Learning About Waves

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    I recently looked at the reference in an article I am reading, and subsequently checked "Oscillations and Waves in Linear and Nonlinear Systems" my Rabinovihc and Trubetskov from the local library.
    https://www.amazon.com/Oscillations-Waves-Nonlinear-Mathematics-Applications/dp/0792304454

Great book, but unfortunately as a first year graduate student, it is hard for me to understand.

I have looked at this forum:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...extbook-to-learn-about-waves-and-oscillations

And looked at all the textbooks there, and they are all fantastic, but introductory. Can anyone suggest a book that is intermediate between these two extremes?

At the moment, I want to develop a model for synchronizing two non-linear oscillators. Been done before, but it is a useful exercise.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try searching the Web of Science (at your university library) for your key words.

With luck you will find a review article closely related to your topic.

4. Oct 28, 2014 #3
    It has been six or so month since I posted this, so I'll answer my own question.

I started with "Introduction to Wave Phenomena" by Akira Hirose
    Continued with "Vibrations and Waves in Physics" by Ian Main
    After that, "Nonlinear vibrations in mechanical and electrical systems" by J. J Stoker
    Then "Nonlinear Autonomous Oscillators" by Urabe for math practice
    And "Nonlinear Oscillations" by Ali H. Nayfeh also for math stuff.

Then Rabinovich can be better understood.

Anyone else have any tips?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook