Reference frame conversion for a moving sphere

Hi

here is the situation; There's a spherical particle contained with a MEMS sensor (3D accelerometer and gyroscope) moving down a bed. What we want is to estimate the total kinetic energy of the particle. The total kinetic energy has two parts, translational part and rotational part. for the translational part we need the norm of the linear velocity and for the rotational part the norm of the angular velocity is needed. the sensor output delivers the angular velocity values (3D) but no linear velocity. It seems we need to conduct an acceleration integral to estimate linear velocity but the noise and drift issue is there. Also the sensor is body framed reference not inertial. For linear velocity we need to have an Eulerian frame but the sensor output is in Lagrangian frame.

Does anyone has an idea on this?

Answers and Replies

A.T.
Science Advisor
Does anyone has an idea on this?
It's a standard problem. Have you done any search on the web?

It's a standard problem. Have you done any search on the web?
Yes. there are some methods to convert frame references but I need to know how it really needs to be done and if there's any need for any filters how to solve the drift issue etc.

A.T.
Science Advisor
Yes. there are some methods to convert frame references.
I meant that specifically tracking motion from inertial sensors is a common problem, with tons of literature on it.

I meant that specifically tracking motion from inertial sensors is a common problem, with tons of literature on it.
Yeah, sure it is. but any idea/suggest/feedback on the case is welcome.