Reflection and transmission of signal

In summary, you need to know the properties of the wall to calculate the reflection and transmission coefficients.
anarachy
How do I determine what percentage of a signal is reflected and what percentage goes through a wall.
I know that I am over simplifying things, but for the purpose of my project I need a simple answer to this problem.
What parameters are needed for the solution and how do we calculate this.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What signal are you referring to, the electromagnetic waves? If so, then you need to know some properties of the wall such as permittivity, permeability, and conductivity. You can use that information to calculate the complex impedance of the wall. Then use the complex impedance to calculate the reflection and transmission coefficients.

Besides some of the signal passing through the wall and some of the signal reflecting from the wall, some of the signal will also be absorbed by the wall. I can understand the importance of wanting to know how much the wall attenuates the signal but I do not understand why you want to know how much signal is reflected by the wall.

The easiest thing to would be to get a field strength meter and measure how much weaker the signal is on the other side of the wall compared to the same distance without a wall. Walls vary greatly in their construction and it is impossible to generalize about the characteristics of anyone wall. Loss factors in RF are usually expressed in dB instead of percent.

waht said:
What signal are you referring to, the electromagnetic waves? If so, then you need to know some properties of the wall such as permittivity, permeability, and conductivity. You can use that information to calculate the complex impedance of the wall. Then use the complex impedance to calculate the reflection and transmission coefficients.

Could you may be explain a little further with an example. Or refer a paper which has a table for reflection and transmission coefficients.

Thanks

What is reflection and transmission of signal?

Reflection and transmission of signal is the phenomenon where an electromagnetic wave (such as light, radio, or sound waves) interacts with a material and part of the wave is reflected back while the other part is transmitted through the material.

What causes reflection and transmission of signal?

Reflection and transmission of signal is caused by the change in the speed and direction of the wave as it moves from one medium to another. This change in speed and direction is due to the difference in the properties of the two mediums, such as density and refractive index.

How is the amount of reflection and transmission of signal determined?

The amount of reflection and transmission of signal is determined by the angle of incidence and the properties of the two materials involved. The angle of incidence is the angle at which the wave hits the surface of the material. The properties of the materials, such as their refractive indices, determine how much of the wave is reflected and transmitted at that angle.

What factors affect the reflection and transmission of signal?

The reflection and transmission of signal can be affected by various factors such as the angle of incidence, the properties of the materials, and the wavelength of the wave. The angle of incidence and the properties of the materials determine the amount of reflection and transmission, while the wavelength of the wave can determine whether the wave is reflected or transmitted at all.

What are some real-life applications of reflection and transmission of signal?

Reflection and transmission of signal have many real-life applications, such as in optics, where it is used in mirrors and lenses. It is also used in communication systems, such as fiber optics and radio waves. Additionally, it is important in medical imaging techniques like X-rays and ultrasounds.